LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here it is.

Im doin a hydro/air front setup on my 64, i need some help/suggestions. I already have most of the bugs worked out but i wanted to see what you guys thought about my cylinder mounts/coil design.

A little background, 64 vw bus with 2600# bags in the rear, hydro/air in the front, 18" epics, 10+ gallons air capacity, 15cfm compressor. Because of the 18s bags would be a tough fit in the front and i want more then your average amount of travel.

I designed the front pretty much already and taken all the measurments. The cylinder is heim jointed to the lower stock shock mount (beefy) and soft mounted to a cut honda coil, the cylinder slides through the upper mount which has the upper coil cup and it is threaded for height adjustment.

Heres some pix

I know this setup is pretty controversal but it offers what i need in an adj suspension setup.

Also i have some other questions also.
Im looking for some sort of mini-pump to fill the cylinders and lines after seal changes. Any suggestions?

Also will an inline ball vavle work for when i want to lock up the cylinders (pull 3s, ride only on the coil). How much for an quality electric valve that wont see much pressure?

Those black cylinders in the pic are brand new but i might want to upgrade to better later on. What do you suggest? Also who makes cylinders with more piston area? I need a 8" travel cylinder that will only see 6"s but push as much fluid as an 8.

If you guys wanna see pix of my project i can post em also. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'd loose the airbag and run an accumulator the important thing on a bus is the top mount, as the torsion springs are load bearing not the top mount ? ... i think.... there is a whole argument about these installs being unsafe in the UK at the moment on some V-Dub forum.

contact Iain at http://www.maxhydraulics.co.uk he works with loads of VW's and has most of the answers you'll need.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reason for the bags is i dont wanna run extra bats or any pumps so pretty much it will be a sealed system.

Also i wont be running any torsions, the beam will be freefloating becuase they start to act against the travel after a certain point. This setup should get 10.5 or travel if my calcs are correct. The upper shock mount location should be strong enuff for anything i can throw at it. Ive seen baja buses jumping with coilover shocks and freefloating beams and they dont have any problem.

The only way i see it as being unsafe is if anything fails there wont be anything to stop the car from hittin the ground. The coil in my design will solve that problem.

Ive been looking for that link but it seems to be broken at the moment :(

Last edited by LowLIfeVW at Dec 24 2003, 04:01 AM

P

·
0 Posts
a little off your topic but, do you have any Pics of your bus?? is it a combi or a panel or ?

Hit me back
peace

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
64 11 window. I dont have tires for the 18s yet and im waitin for my engine right now. The engine should be done end of this month and the new wheels on by late Jan.

Right now im running stock 15" bug smoothies with 175-55-15s front and 195-50-15s rear.

This pic may not look that low but the front is only 5 inches off the ground and there is still another click on the beam adjuster to go :biggrin: The lower part of the windsheilds are a little above waist high and the top is only about 5 feet tall and thats driving height :biggrin:

limo tint all the way around, 15% front windows and windsheild :cool:

Waiting for a new set of honda crv seats i got hooked up with. Also waiting to have the custom billet steering wheel made at my work. Will have a center console to house the main switch panel and a touch screen computer to control the suspension.

Last edited by LowLIfeVW at Dec 24 2003, 08:19 AM

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah , and heres a pic of my 65. It was one of the first bagged bugs in Az and the first fast bagged one.

The front would come 3/4" off the ground and get 9 inches of lift. It would have layed nice if i had used dropped spindles. The rear i never got all the bugs out before the whole car was stolen from me. :(

front layed out, rear driving height

rear layed out, front fully extended before narrowed beam. Heh, i had to run a stinger because i ground hole in my custom ss magnaflow
:cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
What about going with a smaller cylinder and making a top mount where the top of the shock mount used to be? The top seems like it'll need to pivot some because of the characteristics of the front susupension. I'd feel safer keeping all the weight of the vehicle off the body and on the front beams where it's designed. Also, are you using honda civic rear springs? I'd love to check this thing out sometime. I'm a huge VW fan...my next project is going to be a pre 65 bug. Good luck.

-Aaron
www.artofnoize.com
Phx, AZ

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The upper mount is goin to pivot. I know my paint renditions suck but they way it works is that there is goin to be a small piece of tube welded to the tube that holds the spring. That small tube will have bushings and a sleeve control arm style and will be bolted to the upper shock mount. That way the whole assembly will pivot with the arc of the trailing arms.

What do you think about the spring idea? Will it make enough of a difference in how long my seals last?

And yeah ima use civic rear springs too, this whole kit will be a bolt on also :cool:

I'll post update pix whenever i get em, this project should be on the road in a few months.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
cant be of much help on the cylinder mounting, but I do have 2 questions for ya..

1. What kind of compressor puts out 15 CFM??
2. I assume your using air to displace the oil into the cylinders. How much pressure is it going to require to get full lift out of the front cylinders? The surface area in the cylinders is so much less than what you get with a bag, therefor the pressure will have to be increased to compensate..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a slightly modified ac compressor will put out 15cfm but the duty cylce is like 10min off 10 min on. Run them more then that and they burn up quick.

The setup will use two sets of cylinders with the bag connected to the one mounted inside the car. The two cylinders basically transfer the force of the airbag. Im using 2500# bags so lift wont be a problem.

here is a pic of what the inside frame with the second set of hydros could look like. I need to design a better cantilever though. This was just messin around with paint

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im using the cantilever to get more travel out of the bags. to gte my full 10.5 inchs of travel at the wheel i need 8 inchs of movement at the cylinder but my bags only travel 6. So unless i can find a larger cylinder i need to cantilever it.

P

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by LowLIfeVW@Dec 24 2003, 07:17 AM
64 11 window. I dont have tires for the 18s yet and im waitin for my engine right now. The engine should be done end of this month and the new wheels on by late Jan.

Right now im running stock 15" bug smoothies with 175-55-15s front and 195-50-15s rear.

This pic may not look that low but the front is only 5 inches off the ground and there is still another click on the beam adjuster to go :biggrin: The lower part of the windsheilds are a little above waist high and the top is only about 5 feet tall and thats driving height :biggrin:

limo tint all the way around, 15% front windows and windsheild :cool:

Waiting for a new set of honda crv seats i got hooked up with. Also waiting to have the custom billet steering wheel made at my work. Will have a center console to house the main switch panel and a touch screen computer to control the suspension.
looks like a lot of hard work went into your bus, very nice , keep posting up pics. Ied like to see pics of your install if you have any?.

peace :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts