LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to sand down my truck down to metal, so what i need to know if there is anything that goes in between the metal and the primer.

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Go over the bare metal & areas that have body filler with a medium coat of epoxy primer, then lay down a couple of coats of good urethane primer.

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by triplesj408@Oct 11 2007, 03:50 PM~8979529
aight cool thanx,another question what grit sandpaper would be good to get it to bare metal
Depends on a lot of variables there.
Why is it necessary to take it down to bare metal? Is the exciting finish peeling off, really old, been paint too many time before, rust spots, or just needs bodywork done all over?

Its best to try & keep the factory primer/sealers on the metal if ya can.

In most cases the most appropriate method is to use a rotary grinder with a soft backing pad w/40 grit to remove most of the finish almost down to the metal, then go over that with a dual-action sander w/ 80grt.
Be careful not to stay in one spot to keep from heating up the panels & warping them.
If it only has a few coatings, skip the grinder & just go with a da sander w/80grt.

Don't forget about aircraft stripper....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it still has the original paint from 1966 and is peeling and has alot of surface rust thats why i wanted to take it down to metal and start off fresh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts