LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WHAT TO PAINT THE ENGINE BLOCK THE SAME COLOR AS THE FRAME BUT DONT KNOW IF I NEED TO USE A ADDITIVE OR ADD EXTRA HARDNER OR WHAT :dunno:

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
I seen people spray theyre shit with automotive paint, but then again they never start or drive the cars? I just use the high-temp rattle cans for engines, its not that pretty but atleast it wont peep off with heat! If there is a method to do it, i wanna learn it too!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
what i did was

go to the auto parts store buy some engine primer i bought 2 cans and some thinner, i wire wheeled my eingine then cleaned it with the thinner and then wipped it down with watter so that was i new there was no thiiner left on it,then i sprayed both cans on over 2 days then i let it dry for a day and i bought the color i wanted at the paint shop in singal stage and i shot that on it i put about 3 coats on my friend did this same thing on his 2 years ago and he drives his car almost on a daily basies and he looks new

hope it helps :biggrin:

Last edited by 82onJUICE at Nov 30 2003, 10:20 PM

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
Hmm, that sounds like it would work... What temp. engine primer did you use, 1500 degree? Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
407 Posts
i just stripped the existing paint of my block with a wire wheel on a grinder. After that i sprayed it with epoxy primer i believe.Then I scuffed it down and painted it with regular single stage automotive paint. You can use regular base coat clear coat paint too. I have had no problems with it and buddys that have done the same have had no problems either. You would think the paint would burn off, but it dosent. Whats cool with automotive paint is that if you get oil on it, you can just wipe it off. Some spray can paints soak up oil.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
yes you can do the base coat clear coat like he said i have a friend with a kandy painted block and it has been that way for a few years and still looks good no chipping or any thing and he used to even run nos to it so if preped right it will look good and last for along time

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm ready to paint my block also. I think it's all in prep work, get all existing paint off. So you have just the bare metal cast, I'm using various sizes of wire brushes on mine. When I paint I'm gonna use an epoxy primer and fog it on lightly. Then my automotive base for coverage and some clear. It should work fine but like I said success will depend on how well you prep it. Good Luck, post pics when you get it done!

·
Registered
321 Posts
How about sandblasting or media blasting the block?

House Of Kolor says, that their paint will hold on a engine block.
I thini I will paint my block with a light coat of etching primer, then some silver and gold, and some candy over. Hope it won't chip or burn off, cuz I will be riding a lot.

Last edited by herrakani at Dec 3 2003, 03:51 AM

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
nope it dont really but the whole thing is preping
if it is not preped right i dont care what you do it wont hold !! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANKS 4 THE TIPS GUYS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts