LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal this is the first time Im gonna run a single sub set up & with a single voicecoil, so im trying to find the right amp to go with the sub I just got.

heres the info on the sub
JBL GTO804 Single 4 ohm Subwoofer

JBL - GTO804 - 8" Subwoofer with single 4-ohm voice coil

My main question is would I be better off with a Mono Amp or 2 channel Amp or would it even make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Ok heres the deal this is the first time Im gonna run a single sub set up & with a single voicecoil, so im trying to find the right amp to go with the sub I just got.

heres the info on the sub
JBL GTO804 Single 4 ohm Subwoofer

JBL - GTO804 - 8" Subwoofer with single 4-ohm voice coil

My main question is would I be better off with a Mono Amp or 2 channel Amp or would it even make that much of a difference?
You need 200 watts RMS power at 4 ohms.

You most likely wont find a mono amp that will do that power at that ohm load at a reasonable price.

I would do a 2-channel amp that makes 200RMS at 4ohms bridged mono.

Just a couple of ideas here, both at the $99 dollar retail price range...

MTX RFL202 2-channel car amplifier — 50 watts x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Sound Ordnance™ M-2100 2-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Now with that said, the sub MAY take more power depending on install, sealed, ported, tuning, volume, impedance rise ect ect ect...

I'm just matching RMS sub power handling with RMS amp output at the given ohm load to keep things simple.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Oyea Im trying to stay under $200 for the amp so I was looking at these 2
Rockford Fosgate P300-1 300W RMS, Punch Series Compact Monoblock
Rockford Fosgate P300-2 300W RMS, Punch Series Compact 2-Channel

will that be enuff or too much to power that single JBL 8" sub?
Anyone know of a better Amp that will work with what im trying to do $200 or under??
You posted this while I was replying to your first post...

The Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-2 will work for your application, the other amp will not.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Info I have not got the box for the sub made yet I figured I would get the amp first
As for Sealed or Ported Box Im not sure on that yet I just wanna get the most bass I can out of this single 8" but space is limited cuz its going in the back of a 1977 El Camino & I already got 4- 6X9's in the back now. I might move the 6x9's off the floor & mount them right under the back window but then they would be pointed right at the back of the seat & might muffel the sound. It would leave me more room for the sub box but if I leave them where there at I could put the sub between the 6x9's on the tranny hump & have it fireing up like the rest of the speakers or foward between the space in the seats when I put the arm rest down
Here is a vid of what I have now to give you a better Idea what im talking about

·
Registered
12,557 Posts
You posted this while I was replying to your first post...

The Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-2 will work for your application, the other amp will not.
great info,thanks for the info too.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need 200 watts RMS power at 4 ohms.

You most likely wont find a mono amp that will do that power at that ohm load at a reasonable price.

I would do a 2-channel amp that makes 200RMS at 4ohms bridged mono.

I'm just matching RMS sub power handling with RMS amp output at the given ohm load to keep things simple.
Just so Im 100% clear 200RMS at 4ohms is what I need min. so how much Max.?? can the single 8"handel ?
The $200 price range is not set in stone Im willing to pay more money if its gonna make a big difference in sound I just dont want to buy a $500 amp for a $64 sub but I want to pick a amp that will get all the bass it can out the sub without blowing it up

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Never go by max ratings for subs or amps. RMS only and you'll stay clear away from garbage for the most part + you can be sure your being accurate. Also You could go with with an amp like this LINK which will do 200 rms at 4ohm but can also do 400 rms at 2ohm which will allow you to add a sub in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.