LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright..I am sure this has been asked millions of times but here it is again! So I am wanting to build a bike for my daughter...now she is'nt old enough to ride it yet, but ya know I figured I'd get an early start. I think I am wanting to go with a 16" frame...do you all think that would be ok? or would a 20" be better to work with...She's pretty small for her age so thats why I figured 16". I will do a little custom work on it...cause I want it to stand out but not so much to where I'd be afriad to let her ride it cause she'd scratch it up. But still want it to be "semi-show worthy" I am not talkin LRM show winning bike..just want to be able to take it out to the local shows and get some props ya know. So here is the main question...would it be easier to piece the bike together or buy a whole bike? I guess is what I am wanting to know is would it be cheaper or more expensive? I thought doing it piece by piece would work better cause than I could get all the parts that would fit with the "theme" of the bike. Next...what size rims would I use? And last...are there any good sites on the net that have a good selection of parts and what not? I know this is alot to ask but any help would be appreciated. Holla back!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, 16" wheels...What type of forks should be used? I checked out streetlowriders.com and there 16" bikes had the regular forks...Do you have to have regular forks? That make the bike sit up high like that? Or can some 20" forks work? Sorry for all the questions but like I said this is my first time dealing with piecing together a bike. Thanks for the help so far Lownslow :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
check out

http://www.lovelylowrider.com
http://www.megalowrider (even has a 12 incher)
http://www.aztlanbicycle.com

They all sell complete 16inchers as well as frames and parts. They even have bent 16 inch forks and gold 16inch wheels. All that.
I'd suggest to buy a complete 16inch bike and choose one that already has most of the parts that fit your theme from the different (already built up) 16inchers they have. Order the add on parts you want with the bike and start from there.
For a "semi-show" bike just take the complete bike apart and modify the frame the way you want. I'd suggest maybe mold the tank and add some skirts or someting similar. It's all in your imagination.

Keep us updated on the progress. (just curious). ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Megalowrider.com
atzlanbicycle.com
lovelylowrider.com

try ebay too

I think you'd be better off buying the whole thing cuz you'll be replacing parts when you're upgrading. They sell bondoed frames now too. There's lots of choices in the websites. A local dealer here will sell all the parts as a package without a frame (like if you have an OG schwinn frame) for 200. If you're planning on a bunch of custom parts, get the plain jane bike and replace parts as you go.

K. Diaz

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
LOL BigPoppa - think we both wrote at the same time with the same thoughts :)

3rdCoast-Kobra - get a complete bike and try to sell the parts you replace here at the forums. I'm sure the girls and guys here might need some of the stuff.

Cheers!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Lookin out Asco, thanks for the advice. I checked out the sites and will probably do like ya said and get the complete bike and just order extra parts at the same time. One question..on streetriders.com what is a Coaster Wheel? Is that the back wheel? Or just a "type' of wheel? I'll be doing some work like molding the tank, molding the back fender and a few other things. So yeah...keep on the look out for progress pics! Again good lookin out everyone :cool:

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
coaster wheel is a type of wheel and its recomend it if its for your daughters bike it stops when the pedals are in the reverse. a Freewheel had no brakes the chain rotates freely in reverse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts