LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Treat it just like any plastic bumper.
Clean, scuff, apply a plastic prep, (likeBulldog)
prime and paint.
I would suggest epoxy primer for durability. :cool:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by jcclark@Sep 21 2007, 07:40 AM~8839421
Treat it just like any plastic bumper.
Clean, scuff, apply a plastic prep, (likeBulldog)
prime and paint.
I would suggest epoxy primer for durability. :cool:

WUT GRIT SANDPAPER SHOULD I SCUFF IT WITH? AND WHERE CAN I GET BULLDOG FROM? CAN I GET EPOXY FROM LIKE AUTOZONE?...THANX BRO

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
scuff with GREY scotch brite, using a sanding paste helps as well, but not needed, clean, wax and grease remove, shoot some plastic parts adhesion promoter, after that you can either go straight in to basecoat or SS, or if you want optimal adhesion and durability shoot an epoxy after the promoter then get in to your color.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Originally posted by GYNX718@Sep 21 2007, 10:53 AM~8839510
WUT GRIT SANDPAPER SHOULD I SCUFF IT WITH?  AND WHERE CAN I GET BULLDOG FROM?  CAN I GET EPOXY FROM LIKE AUTOZONE?...THANX BRO

NO :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
dude, i dont even scuff mine.
just wipe em down real good with laquer thinner, i mean real good. make sure they dry real good too.
spray some adhesion promoter (primer/sealer) then paint & clear.
done it on all my cars, (even candy!) never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Sep 21 2007, 05:26 PM~8843411
scuff with GREY scotch brite, using a sanding paste helps as well, but not needed, clean, wax and grease remove, shoot some plastic parts adhesion promoter, after that you can either go straight in to basecoat or SS, or if you want optimal adhesion and durability shoot an epoxy after the promoter then get in to your color.
I notice almost ever g-body i see, unless a recent paint job. Has a cracked and chipped bumper cover. Is this just because these bumpers covers were made to be too felxible or because the prep work was not done properly. Oh and also I used some adhesion promoter on some interior panels before and It didnt turn out too great. Kind of made a weird texture on the panel?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Originally posted by HiLow@Sep 22 2007, 06:00 PM~8849056
I notice almost ever g-body i see, unless a recent paint job. Has a cracked and chipped bumper cover. Is this just because these bumpers covers were made to be too felxible or because the prep work was not done properly. Oh and also I used some adhesion promoter on some interior panels before and It didnt turn out too great. Kind of made a weird texture on the panel?
the prep was shitty on the bumpers, as for you using it and it creating texture, you done fucked up!! no worries man, live and learn, you just sprayed it to heavy, adhesion promoter is supposed to be sprayed really lightly just 1 single dry coat, you will barely even notice you have sprayed it depending on what kind you use, like sikkens primer po, you dont even see anything, duponts pla-stic you can somewhat see, it has a slight tinch of colour to it, so just spray it lighter next time and you'll be good to go bro.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Sep 22 2007, 09:59 PM~8849336
the prep was shitty on the bumpers, as for you using it and it creating texture, you done fucked up!! no worries man, live and learn, you just sprayed it to heavy, adhesion promoter is supposed to be sprayed really lightly just 1 single dry coat, you will barely even notice you have sprayed it depending on what kind you use, like sikkens primer po, you dont even see anything, duponts pla-stic you can somewhat see, it has a slight tinch of colour to it, so just spray it lighter next time and you'll be good to go bro.

ppg dpx801 has a slight pinkish tint! works great as well! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by bigmonneyjay71@Sep 22 2007, 04:22 PM~8848673
dude,  i dont even scuff mine.
just wipe em down real good with laquer thinner, i mean real good. make sure they dry real good too.
spray some adhesion promoter (primer/sealer) then paint & clear.
done it on all my cars, (even candy!) never had a problem.

THANX MAN

1 - 16 of 16 Posts