LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know a few basic facts on making airtanks.
im going to be making two airtanks out of steel tubing about 10cm in diametre and around 45cm in length. im planning on just welding it all together to keep it airtight but what thickness steel do i need and all that in order to keep these things safe and sturdy? thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
is there a reason no one makes squareish tanks like with edges. cuse i thought about custom fitting one in my 96 fleetwood bumber (just a thought).

·
Registered
23 Posts
you can make a tank any shape you want. some off-roading jeeps have air tanks made out of the tubing that they use for their bumper, just in case they get a flat way out in the middle of no mans land. just make sure your welds around the threads and ends are good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you are only running 150-200 psi. you will be ok with a square tank or whatever shape you want.

There is nothing wrong with building your own air tank. I wish more people would, its gettin borring lookin at the same tanks all the time. Especially just black ones thrown in the trunk like all my old cars lol.

·
Registered
994 Posts
have yall ever used propane cylinders i just bought a brand new 40 gallon for 70 bucks and gonna use it for the setup on my frontier. i found a guy to weld the bungs i need just wondering what psi i can push the tank too. it sturdier then my 2 little 5 gallons tanks on the linc and ive put 400psi in them

·
Registered
691 Posts
1/8 steel that aint to thin? i was thinking of using 1/4? but im not no expert. how much gallons u think a caddy bumper can hold.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1/4" is overkill!

1/8' is the thickness of most car frames. It wil be ok for a tank.

You have to measure the area, then find some convesions on the internet to calculate the area into gallons. I Did it before a couple times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mrbplace Posted Yesterday, 10:10 AM
  have yall ever used propane cylinders i just bought a brand new 40 gallon for 70 bucks and gonna use it for the setup on my frontier. i found a guy to weld the bungs i need just wondering what psi i can push the tank too. it sturdier then my 2 little 5 gallons tanks on the linc and ive put 400psi in them
lowrider_620 Posted Yesterday, 04:27 PM
  1/8 steel that aint to thin? i was thinking of using 1/4? but im not no expert. how much gallons u think a caddy bumper can hold.
yeah, 1/4 is kinda thick. that would be a heavy ass tank.. never thought about a propane tank. lemme know how it works out. where you gonna put it? i got a frontier too and was wondering how you could make 40 gal tank look good...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by crAZy AZ@Aug 24 2006, 10:57 AM~6033144
yeah, 1/4 is kinda thick. that would be a heavy ass tank.. never thought about a propane tank. lemme know how it works out. where you gonna put it? i got a frontier too and was wondering how you could make 40 gal tank look good...
it will fit perfectly in front of the wheel tubs right behind the cab. As fars as makin it look good im gonna have a mural airbrushed on it the tank makes for a huge canvas to work with the diminsions are like 48" long by 28" around i belive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by lowrider_620@Aug 22 2006, 07:13 PM~6019642
is there a reason no one makes squareish tanks like with edges. cuse i thought about custom fitting one in my 96 fleetwood bumber (just a thought).
Square tanks will expand and flex in the center.. Not a good thing!

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts