LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what the moldings on a 1964 Impala convertible non ss are mad of are they stainless steel or aluminum. The ones sold at classic industries are made out of aluminum. By the way I'm talking about the trim that goes from the front fender all the way to the back and then turns into a horse shoe backwards C and back to the front there are 7 pieces in each side. So basically what are these pieces made out of originally. Depending on the material do you guys chrome dip or polish them out. Beginner here so please forgive me if it sounds like a dumb question but I've heard from one way they are stainless steel and that they're aluminum from another want clarification. Thanks to all great community full of years of knowledge.

·
57 RAG
30,659 Posts
they are aluminum and u can chrome them but chromed aluminum is more prone to chip and with polishing they will eventually need redone or put some sort of wax or zoop seal to help keep them shiny its all just personal prefference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is there a big quality difference between the ones from classic industries and the originals. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

·
16,068 Posts
Its not too hard to fix an polish aluminum trim. Check this out.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/23-paint-body/79620-do-you-wanna-save-more-money.html

I've got side trim on my 63 from classic industries. It fit and looks great ,however, it doesn't match exactly if you mix the c.i. Repops with Og trim. I have og 1/4 panel and fender trim but not the doors and you could tell the difference when i just installed the door trim at first. I feel the c.i. Repop trim could be polished better but i left it as is for now.

·
57 RAG
30,659 Posts
og is always better repop is ok but never seems to fit exactly but it works just determine what end results u want and that will guide u on what u need to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
831impalas
LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums
LayItLow forum is an online community for true Lowriders. Come in and discuss hydraulics, air ride tech tips and all the information you need for dropping your lowrider.
Full Forum Listing