LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

i got my car back from the "diagnostic check", and they said the reason my "level ride" is not working (bags aren't inflating) is because the switch that goes above my differential is broken (apparently the switch has a little arm that senses when to inflate/deflate the bags)...

i don't want to get one from a junkyard, because it's liable to not be working/not work for long... i'd like to get one new or semi-new. anyone know a place (other than Cadillac itself) to get one from?

This is a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Thanks
~Lorenzo

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i'd like to keep it stock (automatic) :(

how long would the stock compressor take to inflate the bags, if, say, i've got 500 pounds in the back seat? my friend said around 15 minutes, and if i have to hold my finger on the switch for 15 minutes then no :( (i want to have a temporary on switch, like a window switch, because i don't want to flip it 'on' and forget about it :p )...

but i'd rather keep it stock, as much as i can :)

anyone know?

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
I don't know, dude. Before I lowered my car (and therefore disabled the auto load-leveler too) you could drop all sorts of crap in the trunk, back seat or whatever and the load leveling light would only be on for a few seconds. It's not fast - you don't actually "feel" the car lift at any pace, but it did work, and didn't take anywhere near 15 minutes. Shit, I packed the whole damn car up when I moved to NJ and it was only on for like 15 seconds! :biggrin:

Have you priced the factory switch? I don't know that anybody makes a "factory" type replacement for those, but I'm sure it's been the same switch for a million years in those Cadillacs, so it shouldn't be TOO hard to find one. Call your dealership for a price before you do too much sweating - you may be surprised.

Let me know if you need more help and I can try to call a few people for part numbers or whatever.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies!

does the 1980 cadillac have the "Level ride" light? cause if i look at the dash when the sun hits it i can make out all the lights, like"check engine", "generator", etc... but i can't see a level ride light. did maybe only later models of cadillac have that?

I've called all the Cadillac dealers in Houston and they all say the part was discontinued years ago, so it's going to be really hard to find, and if i find one, it'll be really expensive probably. they all recommend going to a junkyard, which i'm about to do now (just to look and see if they have it... i know a yard with a dozen 80-85 caddys, hopefully i can find it there) but if you could try to find it (new) i'd really appreciate it. i'm not going to buy anything at the yard today, just look.

Thanks a lot!
~Lorenzo

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Generator??? :0 :cheesy: I don't know if they had a light back then or if it was just one of the wonderful mysteries of life. I can't even remember where mine is on the dash cuz it's been disabled so long! ;)

I'll try to talk to a couple people to see what's up. Might be possible to use a later model switch. I'll let ya know what I hear...

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, back then alternators were called Generators. particularly in the very early cars (50s, 60s) when the "generator" was a foot long cylinder ;)

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Oct 9 2003, 02:18 PM
yes, back then alternators were called Generators. particularly in the very early cars (50s, 60s) when the "generator" was a foot long cylinder ;)
Oh I know, but they had been all but replaced with alternators by 1980! ;) I just thought it was funny that your light said gernerator. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i dunno... i'm just telling you my dash says "Generator" for alternator ;)

Anyway, since i had no luck finding this part at dealers, i went down to a junkyard about 25 minutes away that specializes in old cars (they've got like 15 fleetwoods lined up next to each other, none of them are 1980, but there's a few 81s, 83s, etc.) and i picked out one that looked in semi-good condition, and told them that i'd be coming back tomorrow (today) to get the level sensor, and they said OK, they'd pull it out for me.

i'll let you know how it goes :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts