LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1980 fleetwood brougham... highway maintaining speed is good, but wherei live there's stop signs and traffic lights all over the place, and i'm getting 6-7 miles a gallon because i have to stop every 20 feet :/

i've got a rebuilt carb, new plugs, new exhaust system, what else can i do to get the low end (?) (low gears) power?... so that instead of my engine straining when i take off from traffic lights and stop signs it's actually pushing some power.

help?

~Lorenzo

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That stuff could get you up and going better.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but where can i FIND the parts for a 1980 368 V8 :( :( :( :( :(

It's not like a this is a 1999 Eclipse or Camaro or something... it's hard to find this stuff

another thing i've noticed, is in the mornings (or when it's cold) i get extremely good power... i can peel out all over the place, but some times (most times) in the afternoon, when it's been sitting in the sun for a while, it feels like it doesn't want to move. is this normal?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Generally you get better performance when the air is colder due to its density (more oxygen getting into the engine for combustion).

:)

It sounds like you have something else causing that though :( .

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 9 2003, 07:31 PM

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Nov 9 2003, 02:03 PM
but where can i FIND the parts for a 1980 368 V8 :( :( :( :( :(

It's not like a this is a 1999 Eclipse or Camaro or something... it's hard to find this stuff

another thing i've noticed, is in the mornings (or when it's cold) i get extremely good power... i can peel out all over the place, but some times (most times) in the afternoon, when it's been sitting in the sun for a while, it feels like it doesn't want to move. is this normal?
you can get your exhaust done with out changing your headers and still grt a good boost in power. just about any aftermarket ignition should work with your v8. i'm sure you could get the gears for your car, but like DusterNut said, if you don't already have wheels get some 13"s=same effect as changing gears. :cool:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
buyt yourself a nice new clean airfilter.
the cold air in the morning is denser and gives better combustion, its normal for most cars.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
change out all your sensors too. Oxygen, and all the temperature sensors.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are these "13s" you're talking about?

what i've done to the engine so far is a K&N air filter (doesn't have the big 'plate' on top... that part's an air filter too, so air should just flow in.

then i've got a new catalytic converter, and a new muffler (Flowmaster 40 series).

please keep helping, i appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Nov 10 2003, 02:09 PM
what are these "13s" you're talking about?

what i've done to the engine so far is a K&N air filter (doesn't have the big 'plate' on top... that part's an air filter too, so air should just flow in.

then i've got a new catalytic converter, and a new muffler (Flowmaster 40 series).

please keep helping, i appreciate it :)
the 13's i am talking about are 13 inch diameter wheels. the smaller diameter has the same effect on your drive trian as changing to a lower gear ratio(higher number). a 13" wheel and tire has to turn more revalutions to travel the same distance as a larger tire/wheel combo, like a 15". if it was my car i would get a new ignition next, something like a MSD 6A ,its basiclly like adding an amp to your current ignition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts