LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 Monte and I want to customize my front seats. I have never attempted this before. Please help. I'm going to remove the seats to make it easier.

What kind of fabric should I use (why/why not)?

Where can I get the fabric from (how much do I need)?

Do I just wrap the fabric tight around the seat and then sew it on, or is it more complicated?

Thanx. :)

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
first answer - whatever you want to use
second answer - find out what your going to use first
third answer - if you think its done even remotely like that you should take it to a shop

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was no help whatsoever. I said it was my FIRST TIME.
I don't do interiors, I do hydraulics. ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
okay here these are some pretty basic steps

1) take off ur old seat cover turn it inside out
2) take out all the stiching. then on each peice trim off excess material using the line where the stitches were as a guide, now u have your templates
3)trace your templates onto the back of your new material and have a 1/4 or so extra all the way around
4) now hand sew all ur pieces together bu putting the 1/4 lips together
5) after its all hand sewn together run it thru the machine

like i said pretty basic but not too complicated im gunna do mine soon...yesterday was the first day iv ever been infront of a sewing machine

and if u wanna do piping you just put the lip from the bottom of the piping between the 2 lips from the peices of seat ur sewing together

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by peteypablo@Dec 26 2003, 01:42 PM
That was no help whatsoever. I said it was my FIRST TIME.
I don't do interiors, I do hydraulics. ;)
what im saying is that if youve never messed around with interior like that you should probably leave it alone....interiors are what i do and its not overly complicated but theres alot of little things that people dont let you know....like the above post where he didnt mention cutting little v's into the seams so you can see where to line the new pieces up....and dont trim the excess material off because if you trace a template with that when you sew your new cover will be smaller....those two things for instance would have seriously screwed up your efforts.....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
:0 ohh... A Virgin

My advice is if you have no experience at all let a professional do the seats. They can get complicated if you don't know what you are doing. Anything else on the inside is pretty simple soyou should be able to do that stuff yourself.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx CaDillAc sMacK. I know that interiors are hard to do, but everyone started somewhere. I want to learn and I'm going to try it myself and learn from my mistakes. Everything is hard the first few times. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
you can't just tell people to go to the pro's if they want to haev a custom interior because they've never done it before, the pro's had to try it out first sometime as well.. my suggestion would be, go to the salvage yards, get a seat, and reupholster it, see how good it turns out.....?

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by lil deville@Dec 27 2003, 12:32 AM
:0 ohh... A Virgin

My advice is if you have no experience at all let a professional do the seats. They can get complicated if you don't know what you are doing. Anything else on the inside is pretty simple soyou should be able to do that stuff yourself.
how are you ever gonna learn if you never try? lol

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
check my sewing for dummies post...its my first attempt and im learning the hard way

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
upholstery is a trade....not a hobby....there are tools involved that most people dont have....access to materials....and most of all the know how which isnt easily learned over a computer....what lil deville posted is the best advice...by the time he invested in the tools and materials he could have easily have a shop do the seats for him for a little more money and its professionally done...also unless someone has done the exact interior of his car the advice you give may not apply to his vehicle...and yes everyone starts somewhere and i started at a shop working underneath someone until i had learned enough to do jobs on my own...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Dec 27 2003, 06:51 PM
....what lil deville posted is the best advice...by the time he invested in the tools and materials he could have easily have a shop do the seats for him for a little more money and its professionally done
yeah but what if u wanna do the interior on your next car? ur gunna pay that same price again instead of having a bit of experience under your belt and doing it yourself for hella cheap...plus i dunno about you but id take pride in doing paint/interior/hydraulics/engine and whatever all yourself not taking it to shops...if i cant do it im gunna try and learn, the first interior may not be the best looking but as u go on id say its definently worth it tho...just my opinion

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself, read ALOT of books and make sure you fully understand what/how you are doing things. Doing it yourself is cheaper most of the time but one mistake could make it cheaper to have just gone with a pro. There are people up here that have done some good stuff for real good prices.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by lil deville@Dec 28 2003, 08:21 PM
If you are going to do it yourself, read ALOT of books and make sure you fully understand what/how you are doing things. Doing it yourself is cheaper most of the time but one mistake could make it cheaper to have just gone with a pro. There are people up here that have done some good stuff for real good prices.
What books about interiors are out there?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by peteypablo+Dec 29 2003, 12:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peteypablo @ Dec 29 2003, 12:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lil deville@Dec 28 2003, 08:21 PM
What books about interiors are out there?[/b][/quote]
i dont know of any by name but if you really want to learn i suggest learning furniture restoration because you will learn all the techniques applied to automotive and then some...finding books on furniture resto shouldnt be too difficult and its possible your library may have some

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin+Dec 30 2003, 12:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (enough_talkin @ Dec 30 2003, 12:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2003, 12:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--lil deville
@Dec 28 2003, 08:21 PM

What books about interiors are out there?
i dont know of any by name but if you really want to learn i suggest learning furniture restoration because you will learn all the techniques applied to automotive and then some...finding books on furniture resto shouldnt be too difficult and its possible your library may have some[/b][/quote]
yea ... what he said ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
whoa i have seen plenty of good first time jobs like on my bros protege never even done anything interior related and he did leather interior seats, and they are really fucking good

·
Registered
865 Posts
"TRIAL AND ERROR" is my wordz of wizdom! all i had was some scissors a staple gun an air compressor and a dream and now look at me! you just have to do it on your own and gain confidence in yourself nobody showed me the ropes. i still have to figure shit out sometimes its part of the job. GOOD LUCK to ya! :thumbsup:
call me at the shop if you need any assistance the number is down there ..............

Last edited by KurupT at Jan 10 2004, 01:11 AM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts