LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style=\'font-family:impact\'>What's up fellas' and fellettes'? I am a newbie to this forum! I'm going to post this thread in the Hydrolics Forum to try to speed responses up so please don't bash me for it. Thanks!

I seriously would appreciate some good sound help and advice with what I have in mind.

I have been modin' vehicles for the past 14 years yet I am very weak when it comes to suspension mods and especially weak when it comes to bags and hydrolics.

I currently have a tricked out 1999 5.9L V8 Dodge Durango 4x4 with 23" KMCs...
<img src=\'http://www.tcalyenindustries.com/misc/not_slammed.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\'>

What I want to do is lower my Durango using either Bags or Hydrolics in the least labor intensive way...

Here is what I'd like my Durango to look like...
<img src=\'http://www.tcalyenindustries.com/misc/slammed_side.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\'>

I don't necessarily want to tuck the tires because of the work involved in cutting fender wells, etc, but I'll do it if it's not that bad. I've searched this site and have also spoke with the only person I could find with a hydro'ed Durango. I want to get some other opinions before I go forward.

I also have spoke with MIC. Right now I'm under the impression that you can buy both bag kits and hydrolic kits that with work with a 2 wheel drive Durango (Am I wrong?). I also am under the impression that there are mounting brackets for bags out there somewhere that will work with a 4x4 Durango.

What I'm honestly hoping to get from this post is someone that will tell me to buy this first, this second, do this, do that, or just buy this kit and do this, etc. etc.

Definitely check out my Durango on CarDomain so you can get a better idea of what I'm working with. There are 15 pages... check every one out. <a href=\'http://members.cardomain.com/tcalyen\' target=\'_blank\'>My CarDomain Site</a>

Props in advance to whomever can help! I'll hook you up if you can give me some serious coaching ASAP!</span>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
As far as I nkow 4x4 are not worth all the labor and money because I think you have to convert it back to 2 wheel drive, but dont hold me to that. Everyone told me I couldnt do it to my van either but I still did it. I personally would go with bags on that ride, prolly go with 1/2 inch valves all the way around with some firestone 2600 bags would do you good. I can list my set up if you like its basically what youll need for you ride, I pieced mine together but I dont think youll be able to buy a kit for your truck unless you get the kit for the 2 wheel drive. And remember, you have to lower your truck before you lift it with air. So youll want to look into a good lowering kit that youll be able to install. Hope this helps man. Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
hmm 23's....

okay first off do all u want to do is pancack it up when its time to ride and then pancake it down when you park?
do u want front and back control so u can lift or dump either end at a time... do u want the side to side...do you want all (F-B-S-S)... how do you wanna mount the switches, how many switches you want...

i mean do you want speed, or do you want ease... your being vague, ur sayin that you want bags, but bags do different things... get 1 inch air valves to hop...get 3/8 air valves to ease...get 1/2 air valves for speed...

you gotta be more definete... jus answer the questions above and either i or someone else will answer for you, but its a lot of different things you can get but for different things you want to do...


i think this is wat you want...

if you want to jus lower your car when you park and snatch it back up when you ride go with:

(1) 6 gallon tank (air supply(not much but if thats all u plan on doin)
1 viar 450 compressor (fills up your tank)
(4) RS62 slam specialty air bags (get you about 10" lift and drop or more)
DOT air lines... 3/8
(2) 3/8" parker valves or any type of gold valves (to raise and dump the front and to raise and dump the rear)
(1) solenoid or pressure switch (to let your compressor know when to cut on and cut off)
-of course front and rear brackets
-being that if you go with this set up, your only usin 2 switches, get them mounted in the dash or some where, dont get a switch box for 2 switches
you have to get the fittings (c- notch or monster notch...)

23" rims is alot of rim...you might have to put the bag on a strut...i dunno if u can have a bag mounted onto a strut i dont see why not tho...

PM fernando or boulevard (i spelled that wrong for sure...the long version of blvd)...they can custom put together a kit for you... but thats basically it


o yeh...i here a 4x4 is difficult to bag, i know its been done, but they myte make your 4x4 a regular rwd to make it easier to bag, but if u keep the 4x4 i think its gonna be more $$$...

-peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
to tcalyen...... we've bagged 4x4 durangos before 1/2 is the most i would go on those....there a bitch to bag only because of the 4x4...........but is possible.....................give us a call...626-336-4430
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 27 2003, 02:07 PM
hmm 23's....

okay first off do all u want to do is pancack it up when its time to ride and then pancake it down when you park?
do u want front and back control so u can lift or dump either end at a time... do u want the side to side...do you want all (F-B-S-S)... how do you wanna mount the switches, how many switches you want...

i mean do you want speed, or do you want ease... your being vague, ur sayin that you want bags, but bags do different things... get 1 inch air valves to hop...get 3/8 air valves to ease...get 1/2 air valves for speed...

you gotta be more definete... jus answer the questions above and either i or someone else will answer for you, but its a lot of different things you can get but for different things you want to do...


i think this is wat you want...

if you want to jus lower your car when you park and snatch it back up when you ride go with:

(1) 6 gallon tank (air supply(not much but if thats all u plan on doin)
1 viar 450 compressor (fills up your tank)
(4)  RS62 slam specialty air bags (get you about 10" lift and drop or more)
DOT  air lines... 3/8
(2) 3/8" parker valves or any type of gold valves (to raise and dump the front and to raise and dump the rear)
(1) solenoid or pressure switch (to let your compressor know when to cut on and cut off)
-of course front and rear brackets
-being that if you go with this set up, your only usin 2 switches, get them mounted in the dash or some where, dont get a switch box for 2 switches
you have to get the fittings (c- notch or monster notch...)

23" rims is alot of rim...you might have to put the bag on a strut...i dunno if u can have a bag mounted onto a strut i dont see why not tho...

PM fernando or boulevard (i spelled that wrong for sure...the long version of blvd)...they can custom put together a kit for you... but thats basically it


o yeh...i here a 4x4 is difficult to bag, i know its been done, but they myte make your 4x4 a regular rwd to make it easier to bag, but if u keep the 4x4 i think its gonna be more $$$...

-peace
Thanks for the solid info.!

Here's what I have in mind if I go bags.

-I want to be able to ride at whatever height I choose. I know that if I want to turn when the Durango is slammed then I'll have to do some serious cutting up front. I'll probably fabricate the fenders in a way that will allow turning down to a certain height...
-I don't want to hop...
-I do want to be able to operate each bag independently...
-I do want speed...
-I'll come up with a trick way to mount my switches without using a control box... Probably overhead...

Knowing all of this... what do you suggest? "PM Fernando or Boulevard... Is that a custom shop? Do they have a website or number I could call to get a quote?

Thanks again for your help... please keep helpin'...

Peace,



Last edited by TCalYen at Aug 28 2003, 01:06 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Bumps N Jumps@Aug 27 2003, 01:51 PM
As far as I nkow 4x4 are not worth all the labor and money because I think you have to convert it back to 2 wheel drive, but dont hold me to that. Everyone told me I couldnt do it to my van either but I still did it. I personally would go with bags on that ride, prolly go with 1/2 inch valves all the way around with some firestone 2600 bags would do you good. I can list my set up if you like its basically what youll need for you ride, I pieced mine together but I dont think youll be able to buy a kit for your truck unless you get the kit for the 2 wheel drive. And remember, you have to lower your truck before you lift it with air. So youll want to look into a good lowering kit that youll be able to install. Hope this helps man. Peace.
Could you list all the parts and what you did exactly for your install?

As far as lowering is concerned. So what you are saying is that if I want the Durango to go as low as 6 inches from stock height then I have to put on a lowering kit and then add the bags. How does this work exactly because there are so many lowering kits out there and again they will have to be customized for the 4x4. How are all the kits compatible with bags. I'm sure that many, many of them are not.

Thanks man,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by chico01@Aug 27 2003, 11:21 PM
to tcalyen...... we've bagged 4x4 durangos before 1/2 is the most i would go on those....there a bitch to bag only because of the 4x4...........but is possible.....................give us a call...626-336-4430
I'll give you a call tomorrow. Where are you located? I'm on the East Coast. I want to know so I can call when you would be there. What's your name by the way?... and should I ask for you or someone else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
we're in so. cal........we're also open 10:00am till mid...mon thru fri........ask for jason...we specialize in strictly airride and custom fabrication..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
alryte then
i suggest 8 (1/2") vavles for FBSS and individual (you will need 8 switches unless you wanna do pancake and seesaw, then you need 10)

1 - 12 gallon tank (you gotta clown, thats the only way)
1 or 2 viar 450 compressors or get a york which is an engine driven compressor, it goes under the hood of your ride, the viar's can be mounted to the frame, or jus sit in the back\


Fernando owns Sekond to None the number is 502-968-9770 he is in the KY but will ship them parts to you

Boulevard owns is own shop as well, the number is 888-380-blvd ( he has a great set up for $1200 basically everything you need. and gives you all that stuff you jus said you want, you jus gotta find somewhere to get it installed) Blvd is in NC and will ship it to you

BOth of these guys are good people, will look out 4 ya

-JLM

trust that for the past 6 - 7 months i been scoppin to see where i can get the best deals for an air system, and where i would get the stuff that i want for a nice price and these two are the ones you want to deal with and $1200 is very cheap when it comes to all the stuff your gettin... some range around $1800 - $2200 with out installation (cough cough showtime hydraulics cough)



Last edited by CuttieBuddie at Aug 29 2003, 02:02 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JLM,
You are the man...

You definitely made me more comfortable as far as getting parts from those guys... Thank you for that because that's a biggie!

Forgive my noviceness... but FBSS?? and individual??? and viar??? and a york (brand?)...

For my piece of mind I have to know and understand everything that is pertainent regarding baggin'. I never put anything on my ride without knowing exactly what's up and I definitely don't let someone else do it.

Thanks for your help... any moe info would be mucho appreciated!!!

Cojelo suave Homie!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
(FBSS) stands for Front - Back- Left Side - Right Side
individuals is like driver-side front, and driver-side rear, passenger side front, and passenger side rear
viar is a brand of a compressor and 450 is like the model
york is also a brand/the name of a belt driven compressor

and on second thought with the air bags:

the slam specialties (brand name)

you might wanna do a RS72(style) in the front and RS82(style) in the rear, or RS72 in the rear as well...noth styles are rated wit a maximum usable hieght of 11inches and minimum hieght of 2.9inches, which u definetly need for those 23's...they say they get higher then 11 inches, but for legal perpuses...blah


these styles of slam specialties are rated to handle up to 180psi(pressure), which is real nice for speed, some ppl get crazy and wanna run 240psi but its really not necessary if your not tryna hop(180psi, will hop your car as well), 180psi is quick....

-JLM



Last edited by CuttieBuddie at Aug 30 2003, 01:33 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 29 2003, 03:59 PM
alryte then
i suggest 8 (1/2") vavles for FBSS and individual (you will need 8 switches unless you wanna do pancake and seesaw, then you need 10)

1 - 12 gallon tank (you gotta clown, thats the only way)
1 or 2 viar 450 compressors or get a york which is an engine driven compressor, it goes under the hood of your ride, the viar's can be mounted to the frame, or jus sit in the back\


Fernando owns Sekond to None the number is 502-968-9770 he is in the KY but will ship them parts to you

Boulevard owns is own shop as well, the number is 888-380-blvd ( he has a great set up for $1200 basically everything you need. and gives you all that stuff you jus said you want, you jus gotta find somewhere to get it installed) Blvd is in NC and will ship it to you

BOth of these guys are good people, will look out 4 ya

-JLM

trust that for the past 6 - 7 months i been scoppin to see where i can get the best deals for an air system, and where i would get the stuff that i want for a nice price and these two are the ones you want to deal with and $1200 is very cheap when it comes to all the stuff your gettin... some range around $1800 - $2200 with out installation (cough cough showtime hydraulics cough)
JLM,

I spoke with Shorty (Blvd) for about an hour the other day. He gave me a good price and he seems to CARE about the quality of his work. The only problem is that he's in NC and I have yet to find someone up in the Delaware Valley area (PA,NJ,DE,MD) that can do this kind of custom install.

I'm going to call the guy in NC tomorrow.

Peace,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get this,

Some shop owner just quoted me a price of between 4 and 5 grand to do a air suspension with two 440s and 2600 bags with 1/2 up and 3/8 down inlets and two scuba tanks. NFW

I guess I'm goin' to NC!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's up...

Yesterday I finally lowered my 4x4 Durango.

I used 3 inch blocks in the back and lowered the front about 2 1/2 - 3 inches with the torsion bar. Then I cut both the rear and front bumper stops in half.

I left on the Bilstein shocks that I've only had for a couple of months.

With my 23" rims and tires (~32 inches in diameter) there is considerable rubbing in the front fender well. I can take care of most of the rubbing except where its rubbing against the frame.

It rides fine except over tracks and similar road conditions. The handling around turns is much, much better.

The front wheels are cambering in a bit and I'm taking it to an alignment shop to get it adjusted. Everybody I spoke with seems to think the negative camber can be taken care of.

I'm going to wait and see about the camber. If it can't be taken out I'm going to adjust the front drop to 2" and either leave in the 3" blocks in the rear or put 2" blocks in. With the three inch blocks the rear tires are rubbing just a tiny bit over some bumps. (Damn big tires)

Obviously my shocks are compressed. Does anyone know exactly what shorter shocks would do for the quality of my ride? What about ride quality using lowering leaf springs in the rear compared with using the block in the rear?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, is there anything that I should check periodically due to the rougher ride quality I have? (Engine mounts, components, etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
with the shock thing, you should buy shorter ones or else your just gonna ruin thos other shocks you have in a very short amount of time. You especially want to buy shorter shocks if your other ones are aftermarket fairly expensive ones. You can buy inexpensive shorter shocks from autozone or something similar for like 10 bucks a piece.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top