LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight wifeys car a 03 Aztek she went to start the piece o shit and the key wouldnt go in the ignition. Looked like there was a tumbler loose and in the way. My paw in law used some picks and pushed the obstruction back down.
Now the key fits but... the fuckin ignition wont turn now.
Soo... looks like I need a new lock cyl.
Which looks like you usually do it by taking it all apart then turnin key to START position to release pin.
Well I cant turn it to START position soo...???
Asked the dealer they first talkin bout breaking the housing but that may mean new column.
My boy suggest drilling it out starting with small bit and gradually working my way up. Then pull whats left out and the new slides right back in.
Anyone have idea what to do? :uh:

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
get a new lock thingy : dunno:

if that cant help you i dont know what can

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by ROBERTO G@Dec 1 2008, 08:36 PM~12306510
get a new lock thingy : dunno:

if that cant help you i dont know what can
I know i need to "get a new lock thingy"
but how to get the old one out?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
post pics of everything around it

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
is the ignition on the columb or dash

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
hopefully you can get the key in. if not you will have to drill to tumblers. you need it to turn to the on position. when your able to get it there you will need to get a small pick and push on a little button thats in the hole on top and then pull the tumbler assy. out.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!you dont need to remove the steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tools Required

Snap-On A173A Bent Tip Awl or Equivalent
Removal Procedure

Disconnect the battery negative cable. Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.
Disable the SIR system.
Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the tilt lever close out plate.
Remove the retaining screw from the lower steering column trim covers.
Tilt the trim cover down and slide rearward in order to disengage the locking tabs. Remove the lower steering column trim covers.
Remove the retaining screws from the upper steering column trim cover.

Lift the trim cover in order to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole (1).

Insert the Snap-On A173A bent-tip awl (1) or equivalent, with a 2.5 mm (3/32 inch) tip, and 20 mm (3/4 inch) in length, into the access hole of the ignition lock cylinder.
Turn the ignition lock cylinder to START.
Use the bent tip in order to push down on the ignition lock cylinder retainer.
Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.

Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock cylinder case.
Installation Procedure

Insert the ignition lock cylinder through the trim cover in the upper steering column.
Align the lock cylinder retaining tab and the position tab with the slots in the lock housing.
Completely push the lock cylinder into the lock housing.
Install the retaining screws to the upper steering trim cover.
Tighten the screws to 3.5 Nm (31 lb in).
Match the tab slots on the lower trim cover with the locking tabs on the upper trim cover.
Tilt the lower trim cover up and slide the lower trim cover until the locking tabs snap into the tab slots. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
Install the lower trim cover screws to the steering column.
Tighten the screws to 1.5 Nm (13 lb in).

Install the tilt lever close out plate.
Install the steering wheel.
Enable the SIR system.
Connect the battery negative cable.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
you will have to get a new lock cylinder from the dealer and have them re code the tumblers. its a common problem with al gm cars for that year

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by maniak2005@Dec 1 2008, 08:55 PM~12306709
hopefully you can get the key in. if not you will have to drill to tumblers. you need it to turn to the on position. when your able to get it there you will need to get a small pick and push on a little button thats in the hole on top and then pull the tumbler assy. out.
the key fits but i cant turn it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by maniak2005@Dec 1 2008, 11:00 PM~12306757
you will have to get a new lock cylinder from the dealer and have them re code the tumblers. its a common problem with al gm cars for that year
and since it wont turn you will have to drill the tumblers. or replace the entire lock cylider and ignition switch and reprogram

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by maniak2005@Dec 1 2008, 09:01 PM~12306775
and since it wont turn you will have to drill the tumblers. or replace the entire lock cylider and ignition switch and reprogram
when i drill it out can i just replace the cylinder. or do i have to replace the whole switch with the pass 3 code thing?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
you can replace just the tumbler just dont break the pass lock sensor or it opens a big can of worms

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by maniak2005@Dec 1 2008, 09:19 PM~12306981
you can replace just the tumbler just dont break the pass lock sensor or it opens a big can of worms
any suggestions on how to prevent that?
i figure i would mark my key wit a sharpie to show the max depth i can go and tranfer the mark to my drill bits.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
you can see the module on top of the cylinder itself. just go straight and you will be fine. you will have to get the new tumbler housing from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by maniak2005@Dec 1 2008, 09:35 PM~12307225
you can see the module on top of the cylinder itself. just go straight and you will be fine. you will have to get the new tumbler housing from the dealer.
slow and easy huh. Im gonna go invest in a nice set of bits. take my vac out wit me and vac the shavings out often.
and it actully looks like the module is below the cylinder.
thank ya sir.
hey worst off im behind on my payment anyways they can come get that bitch.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by 2-5-3-@Dec 1 2008, 11:38 PM~12307278
slow and easy huh. Im gonna go invest in a nice set of bits. take my vac out wit me and vac the shavings out often.
and it actully looks like the module is below the cylinder.
thank ya sir.
hey worst off im behind on my payment anyways they can come get that bitch.
lol ya i've replaced alot of those. when i worked for a chevy dealer. any other questions just hit me up.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got it replaced now it was real easy. I drilled it out then I was able to put in the stat position. Took the column cover off pusshed the lil tab on the cyl and it slid right out.
Got her back together now I got another problem.
This car has never needed a button to turn the key to off. But there is a button under the column cover. The only way the key will go to off is by pushing that button???
I rigged it up wit a paper clip I dont get why it needed pressed now but never needed it before?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts