LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have trying to figure this out I think it might be more work than I can handle & might be forced to bag it..

Its a 1966 Thunderbird. These are not full frame cars, they are more like a subframe & any connectors looks like it will hang too low & be visible.

Second is the front end. It is set up like a strut suspention only with shocks/coils instead of struts. The coils don't touch the lower control arm, they go inbetween the upper arm & the fender well/shock tower. :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
fabrication is all i can say. im lost, sorry.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood@Dec 2 2003, 08:59 PM
I have trying to figure this out I think it might be more work than I can handle & might be forced to bag it..

Its a 1966 Thunderbird. These are not full frame cars, they are more like a subframe & any connectors looks like it will hang too low & be visible.

Second is the front end. It is set up like a strut suspention only with shocks/coils instead of struts. The coils don't touch the lower control arm, they go inbetween the upper arm & the fender well/shock tower. :(
I gotta suggestion!
Buy a fully framed car!
Just my opinion, otherwise you got hella fabricating to do!

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TTT

I might have to bag it

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
There are lots of ways to do it. They will all require lots of fab work. The easiest way that I can think of (without seeing the car) is . Use reverse flow cylinders. Make a swivel mount bracket to bolt up to the shock/spring tower. Cut out a 3" or 4" hole in the upper arm in the center of where the spring perch is. re-enforce and weld a short piece of pipe onto the top of the upper arm to hold your new spring in place better. Now your cylinder will bolt up to the shock tower, sit (coil over) inside the spring, down through the hole in the upper arm, and the hose will connect at the top of the shock tower from in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
we got 2 thunderbirds at our garage right now, one 61 and one 62,
ford changed alot of stuff after 63 so im not sure exactly how your car looks but to bag those 61-63 t-birds dont seem to be a problem at all but they are pretty fragile stock.
anyway both those t-birds in our garage is getting bagged...

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Dec 3 2003, 11:17 PM
There are lots of ways to do it. They will all require lots of fab work. The easiest way that I can think of (without seeing the car) is . Use reverse flow cylinders. Make a swivel mount bracket to bolt up to the shock/spring tower. Cut out a 3" or 4" hole in the upper arm in the center of where the spring perch is. re-enforce and weld a short piece of pipe onto the top of the upper arm to hold your new spring in place better. Now your cylinder will bolt up to the shock tower, sit (coil over) inside the spring, down through the hole in the upper arm, and the hose will connect at the top of the shock tower from in the engine compartment.
Why would they have to be reverse flow cylinders???

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood+Dec 4 2003, 07:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2drWood @ Dec 4 2003, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SERIOUSHYDROS@Dec 3 2003, 11:17 PM
Why would they have to be reverse flow cylinders???[/b][/quote]
They don't have to be reverse flow. Just leave the strut in it's location and put the cylinder where the coil is, just cut a hole so the cylinder will go through. You can connect the subframes without it being seen. There are tons of these cars juiced that don't have problems as long as it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna try & take some pics over the weekend so you guys can get a visual. The floors sit even with the rockers so if I connect it you will see it.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood@Dec 4 2003, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna try & take some pics over the weekend so you guys can get a visual. The floors sit even with the rockers so if I connect it you will see it.
My bad, I thought it was a 96 Thunderbird. I have seen it done on a couple of sixties models. The coil is on top of the a-arm stock. The way they did it was they made a mount on top that had a hole in it and mounted the cylinder upside down with the coil around it like you would do coil-over and than mounted the cylinder to the top of the shock tower, or you could use a Pro-ball, just make sure to reinforce the shock tower and a-arms where this is.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
That is basicly the way I was saying to do it. The reason I would use the reverse cylinder. Is cuz with a regular cylinder. The hose fitting would be underneath between the a- arms. Also the cylinder will be riding on the spring bouncing in and out of the hole in the upper arm. It makes it too easy to hit and cause a leaky or broken fitting.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still trying to get them pics...................had to do the christmas light at the folks house

·
Registered
261 Posts
that car is kinda tricky to juice theres one in my club will be at lowrider miami january car hops fromt 30 inches and has really high standing three wheel will post pics of it in the couple of days

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by unity95bubble@Dec 12 2003, 02:23 AM
that car is kinda tricky to juice theres one in my club will be at lowrider miami january car hops fromt 30 inches and has really high standing three wheel will post pics of it in the couple of days
cool.................really interested in seeing those pics

There isn't one old school tbird done into a lowrider around here, thats why I wanted to do this. I actually had to choose this over a 64 Impala because here theres even 14 yr olds with 64's

·
Registered
379 Posts
Drop the body on some kinda frame . I know it's alot of work but the result would be interesting and strong :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by carvr2@Dec 12 2003, 07:46 PM
Drop the body on some kinda frame . I know it's alot of work but the result would be interesting and strong :thumbsup:
That would be WAAAAy to much work

I have an extra coupe frame though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts