LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to re-paint my truck. Its a 97 Ford F-150, extended cab with the side step. What exactly do I need? Please post up a list of materials, and quantity. I also need to paint a plastic lower valance, and a chrome bumper, so what would I need to do that?

I'm looking to repaint it the same color.

Thanks alot guys.

-Tahleel

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Papi_J@Aug 21 2005, 01:44 AM~3664517
Read this post http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=193610&st=40 to get an idea
If you paint it , you need the proper compressor HVLP gun and need to learn how to mix the paints , reduce etc and clean and break the gun down also besides materials

I plan to paint it at a paint booth. They have the guns and everything. (Renting a booth). I've painted fenders and hoods before, but never a whole car. They turned out very well. It was in my auto body shops classes (auto body, and custom paint) in high school. I know how to work with ratios and clean out the gun. Our teacher never told us how to pick paints and what quantity is needed. :(

So thats why I'm looking for a quantity, and I don't want to get stuck with not enough material in the middle of a paint job of something this big.

-Tahleel

·
Registered
180 Posts
IF you get a 1:1 paint - you would get by easy with 1 gallon . That would make 2 gallons total because of the fact the reducer is also a gallon .
IF you do a single stage ( no clear ) then you definately want a Polyurethane or at least a urethane with hardener and your proper reducer .
Reducers are by organized temperature and overshoot the temp by 5-10 degrees when choosing .
If youre not painting the jambs and all you can USUALLY get away with using 1 quart of paint mixed with 1 quart of reducer . This is only if you know exactly what youre doing , mixing only some paint at a time and painting the car like 1/2 and 1/2 ( mixing half the paimt at a time and shooting )
Same amount for clear unless you want to do more than 2 coats of clear ..
For " regular " paint jobs I only would do 2 coats of base + 2 coats of clear + a flow coat last observing proper flash time in between each .
Basically just watch the mixing ratios and I would go with a gallon since you have a fairly large truck although since youre doing it the same color , you wouldnt need to do jambs and all of that so tough call honestly .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it will be a two stage.

How do I tape off jams? Do I stuff it with material? Since my truck is maroon/dark red, will the new and oil paint match?

Also, should I take the bed off? That way I can get the rear of the cab.

-Tahleel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts