LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i'm gonna be running nitro in addition to EDC and viair compressors.Here's my problem

Now in order to turn on/off the nitro you have to manually pop the trunk and turn the handle by hand.Well problem is i don't want to do that every time i want a boost of air.So here's what i need

A electric valve of some sort to put between the regulator from the nitro tank and my main air tank.Problem is i just think a regular valve (like we use on our valves) will work for this app.Reason being i think it will get burnt up.

I'm wanting to put a switch up front so i can control on/off of nitrogen.So if i want i can have the valve open for XXX amount of time and not worry about the valve burning up from being open.

Now here's ideas i've came up w/ already

-electric valves that are used on NOS (nitrogen bottles as in racing).Problem is there like $200 + dollars

-Automatic drain valve for like your air compressor in your shop.Again problem is there a 110 volt and i need 12 volt.That and the ports are tiny i need at least 1/2".So yeah i'd have to get a converter and all that other crap that i dont want to deal w/

-A hydraulic dump.But i dont know if they can be used in such a order w/o burning up also

Does anyone make a electric ball valve 12 volt that can handle 400 psi or more???This is what i really need.

Think FOEY was on to some thing like this a few months back.Post that pic you made up so people can get a better idea what i'm talking about

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Originally posted by 1980cutlasssupreme@Jan 31 2010, 09:14 PM~16472642
lol give it a few mins or days homie they will come lol
Maybe remote mount the regulator valve in the car with you but hidden away. The only way I know is the nitrous bottle ones. Dont even really know if those would work on a nitrogen bottle or not.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Originally posted by baggedout81@Jan 31 2010, 09:29 PM~16472861
Well i came up this of of ebay.Just waiting on them to answer a couple questions

-can this valve be "opened" for lengths of time

-Is this a "Normally closed" valve
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2#ht_500wt_1182
I dont know about that valve but I'm gonna keep thinking about how you could do this.

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
HEY BAGGEDOUT81 :cool:

·
14,255 Posts
did a little search, may do more when I get back.

this caught my eye though:

"Advantages of electric actuated ball valves over other type valves may include: higher flows, higher pressures, higher temperatures, straight through flow path and wider media compatibility."

found it here:

http://www.valvestore.com/departments.asp?dept=1222

·
14,255 Posts
sorry, this was before the first line I quoted

"Electric ball valves are opened and closed by an electric actuator with a reversible electric motor."

·
Registered
886 Posts
WHERE YOU GOING TO HIDE THE LUNCH BOX ON TOP OF THEM?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
when i had my biscayne i had this remote control for the valves so i could hit them while away from the car. only problem is that i would have to push the button to lift it then wait a few seconds then push the other button to close it. and sometimes i would accidently leave the valves open over night and the next day i would fill the tank and the car would lift on its own. so i know the valves wont burn if left open for awhile.

i was thinking of doing the same in my blazer. putting a valve right after my regulator and running an adjustable pressure switch to the valve and a swicth on the dash to the pressure swicth. so ill have my EDC run to 250 psi then if i want more i can power the pressure switch,itll open the valve so it will fill to whatever psi then the pressure switch will cut the valve off.

·
Registered
886 Posts
AND... DID YOU SEE THE PRICES?

1/2 $267.00
3/4 $270.00
1 $284.00
1-1/4 $303.00
1-1/2 $339.00

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by badcayne@Feb 1 2010, 05:21 PM~16479463
when i had my biscayne i had this remote control for the valves so i could hit them while away from the car. only problem is that i would have to push the button to lift it then wait a few seconds then push the other button to close it. and sometimes i would accidently leave the valves open over night and the next day i would fill the tank and the car would lift on its own. so i know the valves wont burn if left open for awhile.

i was thinking of doing the same in my blazer. putting a valve right after my regulator and running an adjustable pressure switch to the valve and a swicth on the dash to the pressure swicth. so ill have my EDC run to 250 psi then if i want more i can power the pressure switch,itll open the valve so it will fill to whatever psi then the pressure switch will cut the valve off.

Yeah i think the main concern is to find out the "Duty cycle" of a electric valve i.e. ASCO,GC etc.Are these the valves you are refering to??

Originally posted by IMPALAMAN1@Feb 1 2010, 05:22 PM~16479477
AND... DID YOU SEE THE PRICES?

1/2 $267.00
3/4 $270.00
1 $284.00
1-1/4 $303.00 
1-1/2 $339.00
Yeah that's kinda outa my range

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talking to a buddy last night came up w/ a couple ideas.

-Use a Heavy duty ball valve one that has a handle on it.Make a mounting bracket near or around it some thing solid.Use a brake line kinda like a e -brake cable and run it from the ball valve mounted off the regulator to a handle in cab close to driver.Problem is it would be easy to open but i dont know about closing

-Using a HD ball valve again only use a actuator to control open/close.Problem is gonna be finding one that's small nought and 12 volt's that's not crazy expensive.

But i think i'm gonna look into this "Duty cycle" of the valves that are used already ASCO,GC etc.They gotta be rated as in lets say 20/80 meaning they can be open 20% of the time and need to be closed 80% of the time

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by touchdowntodd@Feb 6 2010, 06:28 PM~16533929
why not the NOS bottle topper that remote opens?

damn, this may be giving me an evil idea LOL
Yeah thought of that but them shits are expensive

1 - 20 of 22 Posts