LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, I've been looking at hydros for quite some time now. I'm confident that I have the skills necessary to purchase my first kit, and only have one thing that I dont under stand. My truck has a tortion bar suspension on it, and from what I understand, you re-inforce the upper shock mount to mount the upper part of the lift, but what would you guys recommend that I use to mount the lower part to my lower a-arm? Ive found so many options that I dont know which is best for me.

I appreciate your patience and help with the newbie question :biggrin:

·
Registered
233 Posts
what kinda truck is it? We did a toyota and we took torsion bars out.. Cut shock mount off buil new bracket for cylinder. Plate lower a-arm weld piece of pipe that fits into spring on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a Ford Explorer. I dont wanna hop or anything, so I just plan on using no springs, and accums. And yea, I'm gonna take to tortion bar out, I just dont understand how to mount the lower part of the lift onto the A-arm. Are you saying to weld a tube slighty larger than the end of the lift, and then slip the end of the lift in it, and then through bolt it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
hmmmmmm....don't have any experience with a ford explorer suspension but i know enough about ford suspensions that they suck. ;) :biggrin: now that i got that outta the way if your shock mounts in the middle of the a-arm you wanna reinforce the upper mount and drill a hole through the side of the bottom of your cylinder and bolt it in where you shock did at the bottom.

Last edited by 1lownissan at Jan 3 2004, 06:13 PM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 1lownissan@Jan 3 2004, 06:12 PM
hmmmmmm....don't have any experience with a ford explorer suspension but i know enough about ford suspensions that they suck. ;) :biggrin:
I agrea :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply man, that sounds relatively easy. Do you think I should re-inforce the lower mount too? Or do you think it will hold up fine without?

I'm also lookin for a few pics to help me. Maybe you guys have some. I'm looking for a rear setup where the lift is mounted to a monoleaf type suspension, and abviously a torsion bar suspension for the front also (doesnt have to be explorer really, just any torsion will be fine).

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
nah, you don't have to reinforce the bottom mount esp. if you're running acc. i don't have any pics but i wouldn't recommend mounting the rear cylinder on a leaf spring. i would mount it on the axle. i mounted my cylinder on my leaf and when i would jack the truck up and it would snap the mono leaf where i mounted the cylinder bracket. so mount it to the axle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright cool, thanks man. You wouldnt happen to know where I can pick up some mounts to mount the cylinder to the axle would you? The only mount I could find for my mono-leaf setup was the on that mounts to the spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
run hyme joints on the front for the bottom of the cylinder

just make sure you cut the hymes down or they will bend and then brake

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yeah i was gonna run hymes too but i heard about them brreaking so i just put the cylinder in a drill press and drilled a hole to mount it and it works just fine.

for the rear you can weld on powerballs or you can drill a hole in the cylinder like in the front and cut a pice of box tubing about an inch and drill a hole in it so you can run it horizontally through the cylinder which will also work just fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha ok, I got just one more question and then I think I'm set.

I'm looking at a pic of a street hopper cylinder here, and I just realized that I have no idea how you mount them to the upper mount. The only thing I can come up with is that you put that collar lookin thing thats towards the bottom of the cylinder into the upper mount.

That kinda scares me because im not sure exactly how much room I have between my upper shock mount and my hood. Not only that, but If I they are mounted on that collar, then with the cylinder all the way up, im still gonna be pretty damn close to the ground (and i mean really close) at all times.

I guess really what I'm asking is, exactly where does the cylinder mount up to the upper mount? Ive looked in the Rides section at a crapload of cars, but none of them have the hood open for me to figure it out.

I'm off to bed now :biggrin: lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
you use a holesaw to cut an opening for the top of the cylinder to slide in. don't worry the cylinder will clear the hood definitely if you use 8's in the front. go ahead and buy 3/4 ton minicoils and cut 1 in half for the front to do a coil over. in my nissan it allowed it to lay on the ground and still lift high enough to fully lock the suspension as high as it would go in the front. if ya need anymore help PM me. i'll be on here later tonight. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welp, I just did some measuring. I dont know what the hell I was thinking. I have enough room up front to clear a 14" cylinder with the 90* elbow.

The only problem I have now is the fact that one of the hardlines for the heater or a/c (not really sure which) is routed directly over the shock mount. Im gona see if I can "adjust: :biggrin: it over a little to clear the cylinder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mmmkay, next question. say I were to set up my front end just like this...

If i were to get minicoils, do you think I could use the underside of my shock mount to hold the top of the coil spring? Its kindof cupped on the underside, and I think it would hold a spring just fine. But if not, should I just weld a cup up underneath the shock mount?

I think I'm really starting to understand this stuff. :cool:

ps. Do all coils come in the same length, then you cut them to your specific needs?

Last edited by SmoothKriminal at Jan 4 2004, 08:38 PM

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
sorry i took so long. i had to go to work this morning and then work on my monte and help with chri's cutty and..well.....you get the idea. ;)

that is the exact idea i was talking about. no the stock upper shock mount won't hold it. i tried it on my nissan and with all the abuse it eventually broke. it's best to try and fabricate an upper mount for it. it doesn't have to be very beefy. if you want you can get away with just cutting a hole through it and welding a donut to the top. i did this before and it held up great. you're 3/4 ton mini coils will take most of the shock and it will be easy on the upper mount.

yes i believe most mini coils come the same length. just cut a little at a time to the desireed height is obtained.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its cool man, I appreciate you sittin down and helpin me out here!

Alright, so the kit im lookin at right now is from Showtime. Its the 2-Pump Street Black kit.

http://www.showtimehydraulics.com/hydraulic.htm

It says that it comes with cups, but I think there the regular size cups, so I'm gonna have to order some mini cups seperate. How many cups will I need? I ask because I dont know if the spring will mount up agains the collar thats already on the pump, or will I need to get two cups per cylinder?

Also, are all 3/4 ton coils, mini? The only place I could find 3/4 was at prohopper and it doesnt specify wether its mini or not. In sure looks like a mini in the pic though.

Last edited by SmoothKriminal at Jan 5 2004, 09:15 PM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts