LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi pepoz iv been needin some decorations in my room and iv been working on my car and said what the hell ima fix up a couple lowrider bikes and a bunch of models so make it look phat. My first model im working on is a Revell '40 Ford street Rod skill 2. Iv noticed the plastic parts are all supposed to be painted. Do I paint all the parts the color their supposed to be before I glue them? Or do I mask off the chrome and other colors their not supposed to be and paint? Can yall give me all the little details on what to do, and the things that make a model a model. Im just a noob that needs a little understanding. Thanks, CHris

If their are any previous posts that explain what I am asking please post.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
paint your parts first

also when you paint them, paint the backsides first and the the visible side next. you get a better result that way because you dont get oversrpay off the backside onto your visible area. also makes it better for if you are sitiing your pieces down when spraying.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that gets rid of most of my questions but heres a couple more. :biggrin: Is the goal to make the model as close to the model box as possible, or just make it the way you want to. From a couple of your posts on here iv read that you use spray can paint. Do you prime/paint/clear, or paint/clear? Thanks homie, Chris

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
you can paint it just like the box or you can paint it how you want.
you can even leave parts off or add parts from other kits.. alot of kits even come with differant building options as well. its all up to you ;)

as far as paint stages for me it all depends on what im doing, what im trying to achive, or what mood im in at the time.

some of the stuff i do is:

prime/color/clear

prime/color

base/color

base/color/clear

prime/base/color/clear

base/color/flake/clear

base/flake/Kandy/clear

base/Kandy/flake/clear

base/pearl/clear

prime/pearl/clear

base/color/pearl/clear

those are just a few of my methods as you can see i do it all differantly. just depends on what you are doing.

once you figure out exactly what type of color you are wanting to do and if you have any specific steps in that particular color or type of paint just ask and that will make it even easier to point you in the right direction.

·
0 Posts
I got a question to

I want to make my kit a hopper but i dont know what pieces to buy. i went on the hoppin hydros website and they are selling chassis that say it will hop and do otha things but they're also selling hydraulic kits. which one do i buy??? do i buy both? and what otha parts do i need to build a hopper?

·
Registered
434 Posts
for that its your own descision. If want a dancer then get the 4 motor setup, hopper 2 motor setup. Supplies you will need if you build it from scratch are: motors, fishing line, 6 prong dpdt switches, grommets, comouter wire and brass for u-bars. 6v or 7.2v batterie. Those are the things you will need if you bulid it from scratch. Some other people can help with this.

-twin

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by /\Chris/\@Sep 28 2003, 10:50 PM
Hi pepoz iv been needin some decorations in my room and iv been working on my car and said what the hell ima fix up a couple lowrider bikes and a bunch of models so make it look phat. My first model im working on is a Revell '40 Ford street Rod skill 2. Iv noticed the plastic parts are all supposed to be painted. Do I paint all the parts the color their supposed to be before I glue them? Or do I mask off the chrome and other colors their not supposed to be and paint? Can yall give me all the little details on what to do, and the things that make a model a model. Im just a noob that needs a little understanding. Thanks, CHris

If their are any previous posts that explain what I am asking please post.
Some stuff you're better off gluing together first before painting. Like the engine: glue the 2 block halves together, then the heads and timing chain cover. Sometimes the valve covers, oil pan, and manifold too, if you don't want them chrome. The rear axle usually comes in a top and bottom half too. I always glue them together then sand any seams before painting.

and thanks for posting a good question. Most Noobies be like "how do I paint this model?" with no specifics. You opened the box and put some thought into what you need to know.

K. Diaz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts