LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to hookin up my new headunit. now, i am definately not a professional but ive done tons of headunits for my family, friends, myself, etc. but the problem is, this time i have no power at all to my headunit. i checked for a bad ground and thats not it. i made sure the power connections were good. could it be the harness adapter? ive had it in ther about a year. i dont have to buy a new one every time i put a new cd player in do i? i just have no clue where to go to look for the problem. im assuming i need a voltmeter to find out if my car's wiring is faulty. anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
873 Posts
did you bench test the head unit to make sure its working properly? im assuming you had a cd player in there and took it out to put this one in. id check the fuses first, see if maybe you blew something, if thats not it, bench test the cd player with an old battery or a battery charger (if you have a trickle charger)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yes make sure the HU works before trying to install it, then check fuses. Then check power wires from the harness (not on the HU) with a multimeter and MAKE SURE they are getting power etc, both the constant and the memory power...

that would narrow down your problem

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to bench test it could i just run a wire from the pos on my battery to the hot on the deck and ground the deck out on my car? i dont wanna fry shit

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o 1 more thing, the only fuses would be on my fuse box in my car right? does the power wire that you wire your headunit to run off the ignition wire?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by purplemonte@Sep 2 2006, 08:45 PM~6094010
o 1 more thing, the only fuses would be on my fuse box in my car right? does the power wire that you wire your headunit to run off the ignition wire?

Your hu has a power wire that is constant, the memory. Then it has a power wire that runs off the accessory (ignition) that turns it on. So there are (2) wires recieving power when the key is turned on.

The fuse might also be inline or a fuseable link, it does not necessarily have to be in the fuse box, and further it may not be labled "radio" in the fusebox, it may share a line with something else.

ANd in order to bench test, you would connect the yellow and red wire from the hu to the (+) wire and use the black wire from the hu to ground with.

Good luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by purplemonte@Sep 2 2006, 09:45 PM~6094010
most old cars run off the ignition wire i belive, and yeah the fuses would be in the fuse box, and there should be one of the back of the HU also you could check.

blown fuses were my problem last time cuz i forgot to disconnect the ground from the battery before hooking up the HU

·
Registered
204 Posts
also check if any of the pins where the harness and the deck connect are not broken. Iv had customers break or bend the pins a few times.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright guys i had to take an emergency trip cuz me grandfather's sick, but as soon as i get home im gonna check all this. thanks a lot i appreciate it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts