LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diffrence and can you post pics... for a long time I thought they were teh same but they are not can someone post some pics of real good flake and pearl jobs so i can know the diffrence

thanks

(and if anyone has a pic of trick daddy's green (I think impala) post it to please)

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
flake jobs have flake in them. pearls can have flake (dont know why youd want flake in your pearl job, but thats me). flake comes in a jar, chopped up pieces of metal, mixed into clear to be "shot". pearl can come in a powder form and is mixed into the clear and "shot". im not a painter, but im sure others can explain what it is more then I could.

flake jobs

beautiful pearl paint jobs

Last edited by OrangeCounty58 at Aug 7 2003, 11:03 AM

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what is pearl???????? lol still don;t understand

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
pearl should flip flop colors slightly...

just like a real pearl..

my paint on the impala has a ton of flake in it, but it is all buried, so it makes it reflect back green, silver, and blue when the light hits it...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
pearl is basically very small.... small flake------it work best over white or solid color paints to give you a more custom effect----yes people do use pearl bases amnd then shoot candy over it and yes some people shoot pearls over candy's but that is not really what they are designed for.....they are accents------pearls are the original "cameleon"----if you see a white car coming at you and then as the sun hits it it turns a color like red or purple or blue and it looks like the color is follwoing the sun and then all of a sudden the car is white again---that is a pearl.....if you put pearls over a flke it is like putting a veil over a lamp----clouds the color-----peace

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
this car has a pink pearl in it--see where the fenders and doors have pink highlights----that is what a pearl will give you---and that was on a cloudy day--imagine how it looks in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lowriderlife at Aug 7 2003, 02:10 PM

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Pearl paint is slightly iridescent. It refracts light differently from different angles, thereby giving you an illusion of different colors.

·
Registered
949 Posts
basically flake is usually a name given to an oversize pigment that isn't used in production but sometimes can be broadly used to also describe pearls and metallics or any size ,, ..

Pearl is a mica substrate coated with different layered thicknesses (usually TiO2 or FeO3) the thicker the optical thickness of the film will result in different colours being reflected and transmitted (geometric thickness x by its refrative index )
if the layers are very thin it will reflect a white pearl increasing the layer thickness will result in the colours in order of gold, red, blue and green ..

Refraction is basically when light enters a different medium eg .. water that has a higher density than air so the light will bend in the direction which will provide it with the quickest way out . The more the light bends to pass throught the denser medium the higher the refractive index will be ..

A good example is when light passes through water droplets in the air and creates a rainbow ..

the transmitted colour of a pearl is the weaker colour and is complemantary (opposite) to the reflected colour and will be noticed more over a lighter coloured base ,, rather than darker which will make the reflected angle look more intense ..

then theirs metallic which is an aliminum pigment that reflects all light like a mirror ..

hope this helps ..

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by sabre@Aug 7 2003, 10:30 PM
basically flake is usually a name given to an oversize pigment that isn't used in production but sometimes can be broadly used to also describe pearls and metallics or any size ,, ..

metal flake was not originally a pigment--------it actually was "metal" that is why it was only available in silver and gold(brass)----now flake is colored mylar(plastic) and that is why it can be made in difeerent colors-----and as far as helping------------ only if he gets a dictionary -----professor

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all ......now I underatand

Lowriderlife I think I want pearl paint job instead of flake lol~

Thanks alot

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Aug 9 2003, 12:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Aug 9 2003, 12:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sabre@Aug 7 2003, 10:30 PM

metal flake was not originally a pigment--------it actually was "metal" that is why it was only available in silver and gold(brass)----now flake is colored mylar(plastic) and that is why it can be made in difeerent colors-----and as far as helping------------ only if he gets a dictionary -----professor[/b][/quote]
next time I will state that flake was originally a metal ''pigment'' .. and then how would a pearl resemble a very small....small flake ..???

It was a very simple explanation of light and colour ,, Paint goes alot more in depth than basic physics ..
Do you need me to draw a diagram for you.. ????
or do you need a dictionary to look up rainbow ..

Last edited by sabre at Aug 10 2003, 08:14 PM

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Aug 7 2003, 03:06 PM
pearl is basically very small.... small flake------it work best over white or solid color paints to give you a more custom effect----yes people do use pearl bases amnd then shoot candy over it and yes some people shoot pearls over candy's but that is not really what they are designed for.....they are accents------pearls are the original "cameleon"----if you see a white car coming at you and then as the sun hits it it turns a color like red or purple or blue and it looks like the color is follwoing the sun and then all of a sudden the car is white again---that is a pearl.....if you put pearls over a flke it is like putting a veil over a lamp----clouds the color-----peace
hey amigo... viva zapata... when ya painting my car? remember imma do you a carne asada hahaha...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts