LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ton of coil is best for the front of my 86 cutlass? I don't bounce it I just cruise and like comfort. I think 2-ton is what I have now but I'm not sure since I painted em black 10 years ago. The reason I'm putting new coils is because I want the front to sit a little higher this time so when I roll on pancake I don't worry about getting hung up on something.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by TOPPLESS86@Jan 30 2010, 01:59 PM~16461176
What ton of coil is best for the front of my 86 cutlass? I don't bounce it I just cruise and like comfort.  I think 2-ton is what I have now but I'm not sure since I painted em black 10 years ago. The reason I'm putting new coils is because I want the front to sit a little higher this time so when I roll on pancake I don't worry about getting hung up on something.

Take the springs out and get some pipe that fits snugly around the cylinder casing and weld that pipe on top of ur tower. Make sure ur cylinder is straight up and down. This will keep ur cylinder strIght up and down and that will help prevent the cylinder from kicking sideways which will prevent the coil from kicking out.

Then get some 3 ton or 3.5 ton coils and cut them down to size u want.

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
i put some 1 ton pre cut in the front of my luxury sport and the stock front coils cut down put them in the rear just to see how it rides and i havent take them out yet. rides great nice and quiet. still has a dip but its a soft dip

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
how about you use your hydros and lift the front up and inch or 2? isnt that the same thing as not being able to sit as low?

why limit yourself?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jan 30 2010, 03:58 PM~16461794
how about you use your hydros and lift the front up and inch or 2? isnt that the same thing as not being able to sit as low?

why limit yourself?

Safety is still important to me. I think my springs wore out over the years and it sits to low in the front now. I can't turn my wheels anymore if I'm riding pancake because the tire hits the well. I'm just trying to regain at least 2 1/2 inches in the front so I don't wonder if I'm high enough every time I turn if I'm riding low. I just want to know what ton of coil to order that won't collapse or be to stiff for riding.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by lone star@Jan 30 2010, 02:40 PM~16461375
i put some 1 ton pre cut in the front of my luxury sport and the stock front coils cut down put them in the rear just to see how it rides and i havent take them out yet. rides great nice and quiet. still has a dip but its a soft dip
Do you have a pic. I'd like to see how low it sits with those pre-cut 1 tons. :cool:

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
Originally posted by TOPPLESS86@Jan 30 2010, 07:36 PM~16463457
Do you have a pic. I'd like to see how low it sits with those pre-cut 1 tons. :cool:
ill have to take a pic tomorrow with it all the way down....i just chopped a turn off the rear...so its lower.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright cool

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
heres the pics

layed out all the way

still have cleareance to get home if something happens

im using the 1 ton precut in the front they look like the red coils on the right that say 2 ton...

http://www.redshydros.com/catalog005.html

they are a short stack, didnt cut them down

in the back im running chopped down impala front springs that are about 6 inches tall....rides pretty good....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'm gonna get me those. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts