LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1967 Oldsmobile has the steering rods behind the bottom arm and an anti-roll bar in front. There is no obvious place to relocate the shock absorbers. I have checked clearances underneath with the steering on full lock and there isn't much room for anything.

I don't want to spend out for Air Ride Technologies ShockWave units because of the price :0.

Surely I'm not the only person to run into this problem.

Any suggestions, or is my project finished before I have even started? I have got some pictures I could post, if I could work out how to post pictures!

:angry: :uh: :(

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
you need to upload the pics into the post your rides section, and then copy their location, and put [~img]picturelocation[~/img] brackets on, but without the ~'s in there...

hit the quote button on my reply, and look at how the img tags for the picture below appear..

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
also, I chose not to run shocks in front, and I truly do not feel as if that has had any adverse affects on the ride quality or control..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I assume the photo is not of your suspension. I would mount the shock on front of the lower arm on the inside of the Z bar going forward a bit to the top of the chassis. It is a pain in the ass to mount them on these cars but not impossable. You will need to weld the heads of 2 bolts together to get the right angle off the controll arm.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies ;)

I haven't got the pictures on a website, so I can't put a URL between the img tags. Not sure if there is a way round this :confused:

216RIDER, I need to fit shocks because my car won't pass the MOT test without them. I'm in England by the way :cool: .

Lowest, what is a Z bar? I expect I know it as something else over here in England! :cheesy: Which two bolts do I need to weld together?

Thanks.

I was considering some sort of cantilever arrangement with a push rod and mounting the shocks horizontally. As long as they are arranged to compress as they would have in the original position I presume that it will be okay.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Oct 21 2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for your replies ;)

I haven't got the pictures on a website, so I can't put a URL between the img tags. Not sure if there is a way round this :confused:

216RIDER, I need to fit shocks because my car won't pass the MOT test without them. I'm in England by the way :cool: .

Lowest, what is a Z bar? I expect I know it as something else over here in England! :cheesy: Which two bolts do I need to weld together?

Thanks.

I was considering some sort of cantilever arrangement with a push rod and mounting the shocks horizontally. As long as they are arranged to compress as they would have in the original position I presume that it will be okay.
upload the pic in post your rides, then copy it's location, and do the img tags..

or you can email them to me, I'll put them up for ya... [email protected]

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
I'm stumped on the shock thing, without actually seeing the car in person..

but if it were me, i wouldnt even bother trying to fit a bag up into that pocket..

I would fab a plate that covers the spring pocket, and attach the bag to the plate..

you should still be able to lay flat out.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again 216RIDER :cool:

I have seen other conversions (Chevelle, for example) where the area around the spring has to be cut back for clearance. They say it doesn't affect the strength of the chassis.

Good suggestion about making a mounting plate. I hadn't thought of that. :cool: . The front coil springs are 12.2" long when the car is sitting on the road. I have been looking at Air Lift's springs and the design height of one that looks suitable (the 2b6-GEN II - STD Part No. 58505) is 5" to 7". That leaves me with at least 5", which I hope will be less than the portion of coil spring up inside the spring tower. It doesn't look too hopeful though :( . I'll have to go and measure again.

Last edited by M-827 at Oct 21 2003, 04:40 PM

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I've just realized, the top mounting for the air spring will comprise a section of tube equivalent to the width of the original coil spring, to that would be the same as making a mounting plate - IF the tube spaced the air spring down out of the way of the spring tower.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Oct 21 2003, 06:44 PM
Actually, I've just realized, the top mounting for the air spring will comprise a section of tube equivalent to the width of the original coil spring, to that would be the same as making a mounting plate - IF the tube spaced the air spring down out of the way of the spring tower.
correct..

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by theoglean@Oct 21 2003, 08:47 PM
dan you run bump stops!?
I run lowers, and this year I'll have shortened uppers.. my car hit the a arm into the crossmember so hard it sounded like a car crash! needs a little cushioning there..

·
Registered
558 Posts
dude you should see where I relocated my shocks I will show you pics, totally out of teh way you will be surprised at the design and how easy it was, and rides like a dream!!!!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
shit i have pics some where but basically i connected it on teh lower a arm (if you look down at a lower a arm like where the V connects and then mounted it like on the frame, damn iwiwsh i could find pics but its outta the way from any moving objects and i used like ford pinto shocks they have smaller throw because of how cramped the space is but they work great

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by 1lorodeo@Oct 21 2003, 11:03 PM
shit i have pics some where but basically i connected it on teh lower a arm (if you look down at a lower a arm like where the V connects and then mounted it like on the frame, damn iwiwsh i could find pics but its outta the way from any moving objects and i used like ford pinto shocks they have smaller throw because of how cramped the space is but they work great
I feel ya

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks 1lorodeo

I am going to measure up again. I'm now confident I can find somewhere to mount them. :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts