LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my boy is sellin me a box chev for cheap. it need engine work cus he says that somehow motor oil is getin in the radiator. i have never heard of anything like this happening. can someone tell me how oil can get in the radiator and how to fix it if possible.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
989 Posts
blown head gasket or cracked head. if the car is in good enough shape buy it and fix it, but you dont really know how bad it is until you get into it. it could be as simple as replacing the gasket or you might have to get a whole nother head, if it was extremely bad you might even have to deck the block

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think he did say that it had a head gasket problem. the car starts right up and it drives but he says that oil gets in the radiator. the car has been parked for a while and now he has to get rid of it and offerd it to me for cheap. so you think that it could be the head gasket and thats it. how much would a head gasket cost to get repaired?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by corndawg@Aug 14 2005, 01:45 AM~3613318
blown head gasket or cracked head. if the car is in good enough shape buy it and fix it, but you dont really know how bad it is until you get into it. it could be as simple as replacing the gasket or you might have to get a whole nother head, if it was extremely bad you might even have to deck the block
305's :thumbsdown:

·
DON"T STOP NOW
393 Posts
Originally posted by abe0027@Aug 13 2005, 08:54 PM~3613377
i think he did say that it had a head gasket problem. the car starts right up and it drives but he says that oil gets in the radiator. the car has been parked for a while and now he has to get rid of it and offerd it to me for cheap. so you think that it could be the head gasket and thats it. how much would a head gasket cost to get repaired?
lots of money at a shop. try doing it yourslef. It aint that bad.

·
Registered
929 Posts
if you think you can do it yourself and if it's a good enough price, go for it.
but if you're just going to give it to your local mechanic, i wouldn't grab it. that is, unless, you're getting it REALLY cheap and the rest of the ride is nice.

the gasket itself is really cheap. you can get them anywhere from 10-50 bucks depending on the model you need.

the labour though, is EXPENSIVE. the head has to be removed from the block and sometimes there's a lot to go through before you can just remove the head itself.

on top of that, if the head or the main block is cracked, that's trouble. it can essentially mean a complete re-build is required.

another problem you might encounter is that the head might have gotten warped. depending on what it's made of and how long the broken gasket has been driven, the head unevenly vibrates against the engine block. in cases where aluminum heads are used, they have to be machined smooth before they can be placed back on top of the block. this costs a lot of money to have done for you.

but again, if you're getting a good enough deal, GO FOR IT. and let us know how it went!!

good luck!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
oil cooler line in radiator coulb be fucked up

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
where im workin at they had a saturn that had the same problem with oil in the water and the mechanic was having problems with flushing the system

that was the first time i heard of that happening

1 - 9 of 9 Posts