LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to autozone to buy oil for hydraulic pumps and I fond this kind of oil. Is called Coastal ND 30 this is a non detergent motor oil it was like the only one that said non detergent. So I was just woundering if this oil is good or not. ;)

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass@Sep 15 2003, 10:44 AM
I went to autozone to buy oil for hydraulic pumps and I fond this kind of oil. Is called Coastal ND 30 this is a non detergent motor oil it was like the only one that said non detergent. So I was just woundering if this oil is good or not. ;)
yes it is fine to use.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yes, any non-detergent, non-foaming oil should be OK to use.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass@Sep 15 2003, 02:13 PM
can someone else tell me of other brand of motor oil that makes non detergent cause this was the only one.
Don't hate me (cause most do), but ATF-3 is actually a non-detergent hydraulic fluid. I've been using it since '91.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Sep 15 2003, 01:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Sep 15 2003, 01:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Big Baller 82cutlass@Sep 15 2003, 02:13 PM
can someone else tell me of other brand of motor oil that makes non detergent cause this was the only one.
Don't hate me (cause most do), but ATF-3 is actually a non-detergent hydraulic fluid. I've been using it since '91.[/b][/quote]
Ok thanks homie I will keep that tranmission oil in my non detergent list. Why would I hate someone that knows more than me on juice. ;)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
atf - 3 can be found at any autoparts store.

these is better than non-detergent 30/40 motor oil because atf-3 will not foam as much, or not at all.

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The detergents can cause the fluid to foam. Foaming through a pump head is a form of cavitation (pump trying to move air instead of fluid). This cavitation damages pump heads.

10-30 (I'm assuming you mean 10W-30) isn't good because most (if not all) of the "W" motor oils contain detergents and additives to keep the oil from thinning out as much when it gets hot.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass+Sep 15 2003, 02:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Big Baller 82cutlass @ Sep 15 2003, 02:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 01:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Big Baller 82cutlass
@Sep 15 2003, 02:13 PM

Don't hate me (cause most do), but ATF-3 is actually a non-detergent hydraulic fluid. I've been using it since '91.
Ok thanks homie I will keep that tranmission oil in my non detergent list. Why would I hate someone that knows more than me on juice. ;)[/b][/quote]
DO NOT use regular transmission fluids. They all contain detergents and additives and they're not good for pump heads.

Make sure it's ATF-3. It doesn't contain additives.

And to answer the other question: There's an unwritten rule to "hate" on anyone that uses tranny fluid. That's because those people don't know there's a major difference between tranny fluid and ATF.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutlass@Sep 15 2003, 01:18 PM
What does detergents do to your pumps cause some of my friends put any kind of motor oil as long is 10-30.
most people who use motor oil don't use a 10-30

they use a straight 30 or even 40 non-detergent, Chalet has these.

atf oil has no detergents, inhibitors or additives, your forklift hyrdro fluids are based on atf chemistry, but they vary in viscosities.

atf-3 costs more but its better in the long wrong because its superior lubricator and keeps your hydros seals wet.

atf-3 is also better because when you hit your hydros, there's a dry period, with 30 oil, it takes awhile to move and lubricate critical parts with heavy friction.

atf gets through easier.

i would suggest you pm the homie bouncing 89 mercury who posted here earlier for some more info.

:biggrin: ,

cc

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
:( nevermind big baller, he posted already.

:biggrin: ,

cc

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
The best stuff I have ever used is R&O anti-wear hydraulic oil. Walmart carries a 2gallon jug. Napa auto carries it. Any idustrial, tractor ,hydraulic supply store will have some type of anti-wear oil made for our type of pumps. The industrial places usually have it in 5 gallon buckets. Its better to run real hydro oil :biggrin:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts