LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

one of the few reasons independent mechs

670 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lownslow302 
#1 ·
I had a customer bring in a bike for an adjustment/repair. The bike was from Wal-Mart, not us. We adjusted something on the bike, for which the charge is $4.At the front counter, the bike owner had wandered away, leaving his girlfriend/lady friend, who had tried to apply for a credit card. When I told her the repair cost $4, she flipped out on me and refused to pay because she A) had no money (even though she showed me a major credit/debit card to apply for the credit card) and B) we shouldn't charge for repairs.
I suggested she ask her sister, who was shopping with her and had a bag full of Target bags, for the four dollars. She, the bike owner and her sister then became verbally belligerent at me so I called my manager. My manager's initial solution was to keep the bike until they could return with money...
In the end, my manager had the bike tech undo the adjustment and let them leave, with a suggestion they go to Wal-Mart from now on for their bike repairs.
I often see stories like this from the consumer's end, but what about when you're on the retail side? What do you do when someone tries to rip you off? I could have called the police, but for such a low amount it's not like they'd arrest the would-be perps.
i wouldve kept that shit for a week if he didnt claim it ill make more than 4$ selling it for parts

#2 ·
She's fucking nuts

#3 ·
ive had ****** bitch about the 10 bucks i charge to one inner tube,a bike shop charges 10 plus the cost of the innertube add another 3 bucks if its the rear. the most expensive repair i do is 50 bucks and thats a full bottom bracket overhaul. from experience all walmart bike owners are pain in the ass the two other guys i compete with wont take a walmart bike under any consideration even if its just a flat.
i wont fix any walmart bike bigger than 16 inches.

#7 ·
I know what your talking about all to well as I deal with them everyday.The best is the guys that come in with 18 speed+ mountain bikes complaining that the gears aren't shifting right. I try to explain to them that they will never shift perfect and they stare all confused at me. I also have to deal with the "garage sale bike" people all the time complaining that they only paid $10 for the bike and can't justify paying for the $40-50 in repairs needed to make it ridable/safe again which usually consists of tires and tubes and a little oil. They just tell say " Thats to much I could have bought a new bike". Most don't have any concept of price vs quality either. I think the manager handled it well considering the circumstance.

#8 ·
I know what your talking about all to well as I deal with them everyday.The best is the guys that come in with 18 speed+ mountain bikes complaining that the gears aren't shifting right. I try to explain to them that they will never shift perfect and they stare all confused at me. I also have to deal with the "garage sale bike" people all the time complaining that they only paid $10 for the bike and can't justify paying for the $40-50 in repairs needed to make it ridable/safe again which usually consists of tires and tubes and a little oil. They just tell say " Thats to much I could have bought a new bike". Most don't have any concept of price vs quality either. I think the manager handled it well considering the circumstance.
especially with grip shift, i do ok on most cases but then again most of the bikes i worked on cost over 300 they only get really mad when i tell them the only way to make it work perfect is to change the whole shift assembly. i would love to beat the shit out of the asshole who thought that was a good idea to integrate the shifting cable inside the unit.

the only shit i hate more than walmart fakemano deraillurs is those fucking suntour ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.