LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out...

When I really began competing in car audio, about 1999, there was a local company owned and operated in my hometown that hand made competition subs...

These were awesome, 100% hand made... here are a few of the specs I could get from a old buddy of mine who had a manual in his shop from one of these...

Now keep in mind the company has since vanished!

4.5" quad layer voice coil
2000W RMS / 4000W MAX
Dual 2 ohm coils
Pulp/composite carbon injected surround

Super low end frequency, these things were beasts!

Back to the story...... :cool:

I was sifting through a local pawn shop (in the city next to mine) and I came across a 15" model of the "Hurricane PowerStroke".. I asked if I could see it outside the box it was in and he said no. It was purchased from an auction and was in the original wood reinforced box. It was sealed and inside a display case...

So I asked what he knew about Hurricane Sound Labs.... he had no idea what I was talking about.

He said he "knew" it was a cheaper brand sub, a "knockoff" of MTX. TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT AND I KNEW DIFFERENTLY!!

So I bought his story and offered him $90 out of the door, he has a $135 tag on it.

After a few minutes of pondering he took it. So I run outta there with it like bat outta hell! I get to my car and call my boy who runs a local audio shop and told him about my ordeal. He offered me $475 cash on the spot! He said the 15" model retailed locally for over $600 and he used to sell them as fast as he got them. So I abruptly turned down his offer and decided to keep the beast.

I am now sitting here laughing my ass off because the pawn shop guy searched the internet to get a MSRP on it, right in front of me, and made up that mtx story..

Truth is he didnt a fucking thing he was saying. You cant info on them on the internet, they were ALL handmade in BAttle Creek, MI by HURRICANE SOUND LABS .... which are now based in California and sell under a few other brands, and word on the street is they had their hand in the line of "Massive Audio" a year or two ago...

This is my first pawn shop purchase in years, and I made a way with a brand new 15" Hurricane POwerStroke sub for less than a bill out the door.....Too bad he didnt have more....

Did I mention this was the envied sub in my area for many years? Only rich bitches had em, and they all got abused, this one is mint still in original packaging, still smells like the glue they used!!!!!

PICS COMING TONIGHT, MY CAMERA DIED GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yea, i wanna see pics of that shit man. sounds really cool, im curious of how your gonna hook em up. keep this topic going :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work second shift and I just got home. Im taking pics now ;)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Side view of it....

Top view of it

I'll post some pics of the install and try to get it on a mic...

Its only gonna get 1000W RMS in a 3.5 ft^3 box port tuned to34hz...

I'll start be box tomorrow...

Thanks for all the comments guys

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
must be nice for the nostalgia factor but its not too impressive by todays standards :eek:

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Pitbullx@Aug 16 2006, 09:48 AM~5979533
must be nice for the nostalgia factor but its not too impressive by todays standards :eek:

Yea things have changed a ton in the last 5 years, but im still gonna rock it. THings now are much more eveolved but people really put up some nice numbers with these... in 1999 LoL ;)

Im still gonna rock it, not competing with it, just a cruiser! It will have some street credit locally

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by bmcustomaudio@Aug 17 2006, 12:07 PM~5987257
nice old school sub

Thanks bro

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Sporty@Aug 24 2006, 06:26 PM~6036484
did you do a drop in yet? see how it sounds

Yea its in, 4 cubes tuned to 34 hz getting about 1000W RMS...

Its lud enough that it flexes the windshield of my 03 Eclipse about 1/4" atleast when im playing tones below 40 hz, with the windows up!

I just need to get it metered, I am guessing no less than 145 no more than 147 ish... just off my ear

I'll update this once I get it metered and my electrical system up to par :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts