LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out what to do next! Ive layed down my 1st coat of clear. I layed down a nice wet coat, but it has alot of peel in it. Should I wetsand now before laying another coat on, or if I should lay another coat of clear before wetsanding? I dont want to cut through this 1st coat of clear. What will happen if i spray another coat on top of this peel and then wetsand? There are a few runs in it as well. Should i try to wetsand it smooth before another clear coat?

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
the first coat shouldnt have been wet. the first coat should be somewhat dry, let it tack up and then shoot it wet. each coat should be wetter than the last. thats also why you are getting runs.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Sep 17 2007, 05:46 PM~8808207
the first coat shouldnt have been wet. the first coat should be somewhat dry, let it tack up and then shoot it wet. each coat should be wetter than the last. thats also why you are getting runs.

yes, if you still have orange peel after that you might want to try spraying with some more pressure

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but how should i procede from this point? Should i try to wetsand it w/ only the one coat, or would i be ok to lay down another coat and then sand? I just dont want the first coat of peel to show through on the next few coats. Im thinkin i can lay down another coat to build it up a lil more and then wetsand it smooth before applying the final coats. Thoughts???

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
WHAT SIZE FLUID TIP ARE YOU USING IN YOUR GUN AND WHAT TYPE OF GUN IS IT?(GRAVITY ,SIPHON , HVLP OR CONVENTIONAL) :cool:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
i disagree with most people when it comes to laying clear dry first coat and wetter and wetter after that, me I always shoot 2 coats at a time, 1st one wet 2nd wet as well, always using pretty much the exact same amount of clear for each coat, even coats is what you want, if the first coat is orange peely you'll never get it flat without letting it dry and sanding it, IMO also i never wait more than 10 mins between coats, doing so gives the chance of solvent popping, spraying the first coat dry also increases the risk of solvent pop.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
another word of advice, to limit the amount of peel i get the gun close and move fast!! a little more pressure never hurts either, i run 30 psi at the gauge with a devilbus plus, and about 4" from the panel, again i move fast.

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Sep 17 2007, 10:14 PM~8812908
i disagree with most people when it comes to laying clear dry first coat and wetter and wetter after that, me I always shoot 2 coats at a time, 1st one wet 2nd wet as well, always using pretty much the exact same amount of clear for each coat, even coats is what you want, if the first coat is orange peely you'll never get it flat without letting it dry and sanding it, IMO also i never wait more than 10 mins between coats, doing so gives the chance of solvent popping, spraying the first coat dry also increases the risk of solvent pop.
isnt that a good way of getting solvent pop?

i dunno, i always thought that flash times were not only for flowing out the clear, but also giving the solvents and what not in the paints proper time to evaporate before the next coat goes on and traps them in :dunno:

·
Registered
638 Posts
i usually shoot my clear 30 PSI at the guage, Devilbiss GTI, about 4-5" away from panel, i lay down glossy-ish thin coat first, let it tack up, and go wet from there, give it 5 mins, and shoot another nice wet coat and done. Turns out super glossy, no peel, no runs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
whose clear are you using if you are using a production clear they are made to orange peel and you will drive yourself crazy trying to lay it down without peel. If you notice the new cars they have a lot of orange peel....... used to drive me crazy when i worked at the GM plant.
60,000 dollar rigs with a very thin coat of orange peeled finish

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yep i use the Omni MC270 production clear, but i don't get alot of peel. I have ym BMW 633csi that i gotta paint, and i'm thinkin to use the Dupont clear, i'm not sure which, but somethign that will flow out nice, i really do not want to wetsand and buff.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Sep 17 2007, 08:45 PM~8813158
isnt that a good way of getting solvent pop?

i dunno, i always thought that flash times were not only for flowing out the clear, but also giving the solvents and what not in the paints proper time to evaporate before the next coat goes on and traps them in :dunno:
no you get solvent pop when you apply more product on top of another that has started to kick,

AUGGIE, no clear is designed to orange peel, yes the production clears used in the bodyshops today are thicker, and will get even thicker with the new VOC's, but you got to find a way for it to lay down, i went form using dupont chromaclear 7900s, which is relatively thin and easy to apply with little peel, to using sikkens autoclear hs+ on a daily at work, with the thicker clears i find getting real close and moving real fast with good psi is the trick to getting it to lay down, i dont bother over reducing it either, becauase that tends to increase risk of die back and can lessen gloss. ;)

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i use a 1.4 tip and never lay down a tack coat..........

i always go wet from start to finish........

you just have to pay attention to the clear and walk that fine line between orange peel and runs..........

as for the production clear i use omni alot and i can lay it down like glass........i have pics of things i sprayed to prove it............

YOU CAN GET ANY CLEAR TO LAY DOWN LIKE GLASS

·
Registered
473 Posts
i use 1.4 tip iwata at 15psi .2 wet coats 3 if it need to be buffed
PHXRollin
i would lay down 3 coats of clear.block with 600 or 800 paper and reclear
solvent popping comes from insufficient drying time between coats or/and to much clear

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Originally posted by caddeville@Sep 20 2007, 01:42 PM~8834285
i use 1.4 tip for everything.
Even primers? shit i tried using a 1.5 for a primer sealer and it seemed like nothing was coming out of the gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts