LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a amt 64 and i fucked up the paint and need to kno what u guys use to remove paint from models...........

thanks....... :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Jul 24 2003, 12:33 PM
i got a amt 64 and i fucked up the paint and need to kno what u guys use to remove paint from models...........

thanks....... :)
i use the hard way and sand it off with sandpaper,,,, some guys throw paint thinner or aircraft removal paint for the dicasts..

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
get you a bottle of spray Easy-Off oven cleaner, the original formula. Works pretty good. Some people dunk it for a while in a tub of Castrol Super Clean (brake fluid?), I think it's purple and you can get it at Walmart. As a last resort, I use Easy Lift Off, you find it in Hobby Shops. It works great, but you don't get much for 10 bux. Don't use aircarft stripper or auto paint thinner, you'll end up with a lump of melted plastic.

K. Diaz

Last edited by BigPoppa at Jul 24 2003, 12:02 PM

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Jul 24 2003, 03:00 PM
. Some people dunk it for a while in a tub of Castrol Super Clean (brake fluid?), I think it's purple and you can get it at Walmart.
thanks..... anybody with info on this??? will it fuck up my model??

thanks again

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Originally posted by jevries@Jul 24 2003, 12:23 PM
Brake fluid? check every 3 hours what it does......I left my '71 caddy in that stuff to long and it got little cracks...but then again it was an original model the newer modelcars have a somewhat different kind of formula styrenewise...so let it sit in there for a day, take a toothbrush and brush of the paint that is left. ;)
It all depends. The same thing happened to me too, I stay away from it. Johan kits and colored plastics seem to be more sensitive to it because of the dies and because they're more brittle. I had a Lindberg hopper in red and it tried to remove the top layer, messed it up bad. Some people swear by it though. I stick to easy off. It takes off the clear first, then attacks the primer by soaking thru the color coat. The color and clear comes off in sheets but the primer is nothing but slime. That's auto paint tho.

K. Diaz

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:uh: then thats what ill be using...easy off

thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
easy-off is the shit.... old skool way to do it too.... worst thing to do iz sand the paint off... u'll lose most body lines... unless u wetsand it n prep it good enuff to primer n paint...

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by tRiCk oR TrEaT@Jul 24 2003, 11:11 PM
easy-off is the shit.... old skool way to do it too.... worst thing to do iz sand the paint off... u'll lose most body lines... unless u wetsand it n prep it good enuff to primer n paint...
:uh: thats why i was looking for some new ways to remove the paint, i used to always just sand the paint off and fuck up all those nice ass bodylines. well, im gonna go get some easy-off tomarrow and if i like how it works(which i most likely will), i got a whole bunch of half finished models (done up interiors,engines...) that i can finally finish wthout fucking up the plastic or the lines... :cool: ;)

wish me luck... ;)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
just be careful, the fumes are REALLY strong, they kind of cut off your breathing. Get a tupperware bowl with a lid, spray the hell out of the body real quick, covering your nose with your shirt or something, and let it soak for a bit. Don't let it dry out, it gets crusty. Try not to touch it either, it dissolves the very top layer of skin, makes your fingers feel slippery. Wash it off in tap water and use a toothbrush or scrubby sponge to help it along.
K. Diaz

·
Registered
743 Posts
The Purple Pond as i like to call it, Castrol Super clean or Autozones knock off of it. Its a cleaner degreaser. I pour the gallon into a plastic container and its usually clean by morning. But use gloves because it will really dry up ansd screw up your fingers.
Best part is that it has no fumes like oven cleaner and its far less messy, you can strain and reuse ot for awhile . Never use it for resin though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts