LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you paint on a regular basis, you know what mottling is and have probably faced it before. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by twenty2z at Nov 9 2003, 05:14 PM

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
ok you must be doing one of these or all of these things wrong!

wrong thinner or reducer
not mixing the paint enough
sraying too wet
spraying to close to panel
you got an uneven spray pattern
low shop temp.

·
Registered
374 Posts
if the car was not taken to metal and sealed and primed it could be the old paint absorbing the base coat and lifting it up off the body. But that is actually called something else like checked paint. If it is doing that then you would have to take the old paint completely off and prime the car for the base coat.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by OG 76@Nov 8 2003, 07:09 PM
if the car was not taken to metal and sealed and primed it could be the old paint absorbing the base coat and lifting it up off the body. But that is actually called something else like checked paint. If it is doing that then you would have to take the old paint completely off and prime the car for the base coat.
mottling is un-uniform metallics and streaking, like a blotchy paint job or the lines you get whe nthe metallics sag!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks skandalouz... I'll keep playing with the gun. I normally do panel collision work and not completes so its a much bigger canvas to worry about. Spray temp is OK, reducer is OK, also it is mixed well enough so... must be how Im spraying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts