LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm paintin the engine block and was wondering if u need to use temperature paint or is any paint fine

Last edited by 81delta at Nov 1 2003, 10:13 PM

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
actually when we custom paint an engine block. i use the same paint that i use on the car itself. i bake the paint on a car at 180 degrees and an engine runs 190 to 210. it holds up pretty good as long as its prepped right it will last a year or 2

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
i also am curious about this... the dudes at the local chop shop told me that they just used regular primer/paint and it comes out fine.. but these are on vehilces that are only cruized to shows and not driven regularly...

i was told that you could use a high heat primer (500 degree) and then paint over that... but i also heard that those kinda of primers can cause fish eyes....

so to be honest i really dont know for sure but i am curious as to what other people with more possible expirience have to say

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
i use all urethane products. when i do candy its ppg dp primer/sealer, ppg base, house of kolor candy, and concept clear and it seems to work for me

·
Registered
163 Posts
well... the block shouldnt be getting warmer then the boiling temperature of water... as cooling water runs through your block.
so i think its not nessecary to use temp paint.
a guy i know painted his engine just like something u do with the body.
first remove all the old paint....everything.. and clean it very good and decrease. then build up the paintjob.
epoxy primer,
ground
colour
clear
that way it should hold very well.... that guy painted his block metallic purple and even at the places near the headers it stays good.

so, i think that the attachment of the paint to the block is much more of importance then the paint resistance temperature is.

·
Registered
998 Posts
homie of mine had a bad experience with baked on paint.. from then on he only used high temp paint.. i've never experienced either.. so if i said one way or the other i'd be lying.. :cool:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
i look at it this way...

the block wont get much above 250° unless you overheat the piss out of it..

think about how hot the sheet metal on your car gets after sitting in the sun for a few hours at a show..

like Mr.Tinnman said, adhesion is the key... because blocks see a lot of oil and shit getting on them over time, which will eventually weaken the paint and cause it to peel..

POR-15 makes engine painting kits that are supposed to be super good quality...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
THE AREAS ON THE CYLINDER HEADS AROUND THE EXHAUST PORTS CAN EASILY REACH TEMPERATURES OF 1000-1500 DEGREES

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have my engine painted with HOK kandy pink over a pavo purple base ...I have had no problem all sumer with it so far ... My buddy lavish had his engine painted for 2 years without probs... You can do it but you must get it clean & skuff it up good for adhesion.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ogcaddy@Nov 2 2003, 08:56 PM
HOK has a special primer for engines.
:) thanks for the info guys.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts