LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive started the prep process on my 83 Cadi and have a few questions. When I started knocking down the old paint with 320 on the DA I can tell that the car has been painted 3 times. The original color is silver, then its was painted blue, and then the last paint job is a single stage heavy metallic blue. My intentions are to do a color change and paint it a slate med/dark gray. My question is whats the best type of primer to spray on top of all this old paint? Or should I take this thing all the way down to the metal? I really dont want to strip this thing all the way down to metal if I dont have to. This is a backyard boogie job so I dont want to get in over my head. The body is straight with no major dents. The paint thats on it now was ok but had some deep ass chips. I cant floss with chipped up man ya-da-da-I mean.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Hood

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do body work, block it down then hit it with an epoxy sealer, and shoot your primer on top
Isnt epoxy sealer designed to go on bare metal? If I could avoid going down to metal that would be ideal. Like I said the body is straight Im just trying to figure out the best primer to use so I can block it down. Lord knows whats under all this paint it would be just my luck theres all kinda filler/bondo. Or am I have adhesion issues trying to primer over the old paint?

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
If you want to do it the right way,baremetal is the only way to go,those cady's came factory with lacquer paint,and it will check eventually,and nothings uglier than lacquer checking under a freshly painted ride.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to do it the right way,baremetal is the only way to go,those cady's came factory with lacquer paint,and it will check eventually,and nothings uglier than lacquer checking under a freshly painted ride.
As long as the paint lasts for about 5 years Im good for now. r are you saying that there will be an immediate reaction between the two paints? I just wanna change the color and have it look decent ya know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts