LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by O.G.ModelBuilder@Sep 23 2003, 01:52 PM
no matter what color?
priming really depends on the paint you are using in my opinion, its not necessary qith Testors and other model paints if you haven't done any body work or need to fill small scratches. Itsa must for things like Automotive paints as they are hot and etch into the plastic. Personally I almost always prime no matter what paint I am using. Now with a color Like Panther Oink you need to be careful as a dark primer will change the overall color, I sugest white primer or grey primer followed by a white base coat or even a silver basecoat although I think silver will make it darker also

Last edited by dag65 at Sep 23 2003, 02:05 PM

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by O.G.ModelBuilder@Sep 23 2003, 01:45 PM
i just bout a 64 "grim reaper" kit and i want to build it with those decals. my question is i bout "pink panther" piant color and i want to know if it would be best to primer it or go with a silver base or just spray right on the white. holla back
are you sure youre an og model builder :uh:

always primer regardless of what it is

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by Lownslow302@Sep 23 2003, 02:06 PM

not always necessary! read the above post, it serves its purpose in many situations but not always

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Lownslow302+Sep 23 2003, 03:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lownslow302 @ Sep 23 2003, 03:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--O.G.ModelBuilder@Sep 23 2003, 01:45 PM
i just bout a 64 "grim reaper" kit and i want to build it with those decals. my question is i bout "pink panther" piant color and i want to know if it would be best to primer it or go with a silver base or just spray right on the white. holla back

always primer regardless of what it is[/b][/quote]
im a O.G. and im a model builder. dont hate. as far as what dag said, i primed it with flat gray primer. tomorrow i'll hit it with the pink. i'll take pics so you guys can see how it came out

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by O.G.ModelBuilder+Sep 23 2003, 04:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (O.G.ModelBuilder @ Sep 23 2003, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2003, 03:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--O.G.ModelBuilder
@Sep 23 2003, 01:45 PM

im a O.G. and im a model builder. dont hate. as far as what dag said, i primed it with flat gray primer. tomorrow i'll hit it with the pink. i'll take pics so you guys can see how it came out[/b][/quote]
right on , it should cover the light grey stuff nicely O.G.
No ego no bullshit here,m ask a question and I will give you a straight answer.
Can't wait to see it.
Dag

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Sep 23 2003, 06:29 PM
Primer's good for bringing out the flaws too, sometimes they're hard to see.

K. Diaz
exactly thats why i always always alllllllwaaaaaaaaayyyyysssss primer :biggrin:

hey Kris im rebuilding the HH Eliminator

Chopped raked top and Dirt Racer mean anything ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been building for over 25 years, I don't believe in always primer. The more paint you put on, the more detail your going to cover. I paint almost exculsively with Testor's paint. I thin it about 50/50 with lacquer thinner (yes you can thin Testors enaml with lacquer thinner) and spray it on without using primer.

I painted my 69 Rivi by scuffing the body with 600 grit sandpaper, then painting it with Testors thinned Chezoom Teal at about 30 PSI through my airbrush. I put bare metal foil on it, then shot two coats of Testors clear over it. Let it dry about a week, and polished it out with 8,000, and 12,000 grit sandpaper, then waxed it.

I usually only use primer if I had to use putty, but most of my body work is done with Zap A Gap type glue. I use primer on my resin kits or when I use automotive paints.

I realize that everyone has their own way of doing stuff. One of my friends uses about 70 PSI when he airbrushes. I tried that and it blew a hole in my hose. Another friend of mine uses about 15 PSI. You just have to experiment and figure out what works for you.

dag65 likes to use primer all the time cause that works for him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts