LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
yeaaaaaaa most of the time, but after u do the tape job jus spray a coat of the color of the paint over top so it seals the edges of the tape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Originally posted by NortherntoucH@Sep 2 2003, 01:53 PM
yeaaaaaaa most of the time, but after u do the tape job jus spray a coat of the color of the paint over top so it seals the edges of the tape.
HUH? You leave the tape on the car?
I was going to leave this one alone as it is a topic that has been beaten to death, but here goes.
Step 1 lay down a base color
Step 2 tape off your patterns ( use a low tack tape , 3M fineline or Tamiya makes one that you can get at the hobby store, bottom line is that you want it to stick but not so well it takes the paint off)
Step 3 Spray on your second color and let dry.
Step 4 carefully remove the tape
Step 5 Spray on a coat of candy color and seal in clear.



Last edited by dag65 at Sep 2 2003, 02:11 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by dag65+Sep 2 2003, 02:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dag65 @ Sep 2 2003, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--NortherntoucH@Sep 2 2003, 01:53 PM
yeaaaaaaa most of the time, but after u do the tape job jus spray a coat of the color of the paint over top so it seals the edges of the tape.
HUH? You leave the tape on the car?
I was going to leave this one alone as it is a topic that has been beaten to death, but here goes.
Step 1 lay down a base color
Step 2 tape off your patterns ( use a low tack tape , 3M fineline or Tamiya makes one that you can get at the hobby store, bottom line is that you want it to stick but not so well it takes the paint off)
Step 3 Spray on your second color and let dry.
Step 4 carefully remove the tape
Step 5 Spray on a coat of candy color and seal in clear.[/b][/quote]
Actually Dag, i suggested the same thing at the last beating of this horse. If you recoat after you tape, it keeps the next color from bleeding under the tape because the other coat is in the way.

K. Diaz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa+Sep 2 2003, 03:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigPoppa @ Sep 2 2003, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2003, 02:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--NortherntoucH
@Sep 2 2003, 01:53 PM
yeaaaaaaa most of the time, but after u do the tape job jus spray a coat of the color of the paint over top so it seals the edges of the tape.

HUH? You leave the tape on the car?
I was going to leave this one alone as it is a topic that has been beaten to death, but here goes.
Step 1 lay down a base color
Step 2 tape off your patterns ( use a low tack tape , 3M fineline or Tamiya makes one that you can get at the hobby store, bottom line is that you want it to stick but not so well it takes the paint off)
Step 3 Spray on your second color and let dry.
Step 4 carefully remove the tape
Step 5 Spray on a coat of candy color and seal in clear.
Actually Dag, i suggested the same thing at the last beating of this horse. If you recoat after you tape, it keeps the next color from bleeding under the tape because the other coat is in the way.

K. Diaz[/b][/quote]
^^^ what he said :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Guess I never really thought of actually leaving the tape on the car, I would only use it as a mask. I would shoot a base color and then mask it paint another color and then remove the tape.
Doesn't the tape leave a huge ridge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Sep 2 2003, 03:28 PM
what's easier to sand down, a ridge or a big ol bleed mark? :biggrin:

plus you don't use a whole lot

K. Diaz
True but if you paint corecctly......... :biggrin:
Oh yeah wait you have been to my garage and seen me screw up a paint job, never mind. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Originally posted by dag65@Sep 2 2003, 03:53 PM
Guess I never really thought of actually leaving the tape on the car, I would only use it as a mask. I would shoot a base color and then mask it paint another color and then remove the tape.
Doesn't the tape leave a huge ridge?
u do take the tape off after... ok heres what i do.

step 1. prime and paint the body colour.
step 2. put the tape on, and cut the patterns out.
step 3. paint the body colour over top of the tape to seal it.
step 4. paint the pattern colour overtop of the bodycolour, which is over top of the tape.
step 5. take the tape off.
step 6. paint a candy color, or clear...whatever you want.

thats how i do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Sep 2 2003, 02:23 PM
i suggested the same thing at the last beating of this horse
not to beat this whores some more but......... might also wanna snoop around over in the "paint & body" section too since it is done pretty much the same way as a real car. i gurantee you will find more than enough info to help you out over there ;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top