LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 160 amp alternator that hits 95 amps at idle. i've got a regular Duralast battery, and everything major under the hood is stock. i've got a Pioneer Premier DEH-350 head unit (with CD player), stock speakers, and two 15" JL Audio W3 subwoofers in the trunk powered by a Memphis 1000D amplifier.

my alternator i've checked, is charging (i had a problem with the exciter circuit a few weeks ago, but got that fixed). now for the last few weeks everything's been good, i listen to CDs all the time, never the radio, but for the last two days, occasionally when i put my foot on the brake, for a split second all sound in the car disappears then goes right back, like someone removed the wires going to the speakers for just a second and put them back. it's not a big deal, but it's very annoying. if i tap the brake a second time right after that, everything works fine. same thing happened today when i started it. i start the car, and then press "door lock"... this time the whole head unit clicks off, then a few seconds later clicks back on (meaning it lost power completely). but the weird thing is about 5 minutes later when i was on the road, i pressed "door lock" again and the head unit didn't even flicker.

it only happens (the sound cutting out for a split second) when i do something like put my foot on the brake (brake lights going on) or put the car into reverse (back-up lights come on), or press door lock, or do something that drains the system. but this has happened when i was doing 75 on the highway, meaning the alternator's going full speed, so it's charging 100%.

does anyone have any ideas why it could be doing this? it's never done it before, and it's starting to annoy and scare me at the same time. i can go into more detail if you want me to.

please help. thanks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had to use a big word to draw attention to my thread ;)

I suspect it MIGHT be the blower motor for my A/C (which is a few months old), because when i turn it on, all lights dim, and the engine slows down drastically.

could it be perhaps that when i unlock doors, push brake, etc. it's drawing a little more current, and before the alternator can compensate for that by getting turned higher, it's sucking from the battery?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If it was your blower motor, then you would notice the drastic difference in power if you used your vent or front defroster as well since you only have one blower motor. Does it do anything when you turn like the vent on or the front defroster?

Another suggestion is check your ground off your amp and make sure it's tight and on bare metal. I had a deck bleep out on me once and I had 2 12 inch JL Audio W6's and an 800 watt Kenwood amp and it took a toll on my battery too even when the car was running, and come to find out, it was just a bad ground so I would check that. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, it's a good point, Thumper, but even when my subs are switched off (at the amp) and i'm just playing the radio on my stock speakers this happens. HOWEVER, it's stopped with me touching the brake, but it's doing this instead:

If i'm listening to the radio or a CD (whether it's turned way up high or very soft) and i press the horn, or door unlock (not the brake... it's usually when i press the horn), the whole head unit will shut off, and all the lights dim dramatically. if i do it again it usually doesn't shut off, it justs dims a lot. now if i wait a few minutes (with the engine running) and then press the horn again, there's not even a flicker. the head unit lights don't even flicker slightly.

why does it flicker a lot and completely shut off occaionally, and other times it doesn't

!?

all this even when my subs are off!

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
damn, I can't call it man...sounds like something is hooked up wrong or there is a bad ground. I would check the connections on your reciever (if the wires are cut)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts