LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright we all have seen the threads about dropping mounts and extending arms so many inches to fix bad pinion angle vibrations. But what I want to know is what is the range in degrees before bad pinion angle? What is the last angle(s) before that nasty vibration when ridin up or down? And does speed have anything to do with it or should it matter at all?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
General Motors' original design utilized a neutral pinion angle of 0 to +1 degree you shouldn't have more than a 5 degree angle maximum. The U-joints are designed to run at this angle, which allows the cups to rotate avoiding premature wear and failure.

also remeber when you accelerate or drive under load the axle twists increasing the angle as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by Unity_Jon@Aug 11 2005, 03:36 AM~3589683
General Motors' original design utilized a neutral pinion angle of 0 to +1 degree you shouldn't have more than a 5 degree angle maximum. The U-joints are designed to run at this angle, which allows the cups to rotate avoiding premature wear and failure.

also remeber when you accelerate or drive under load the axle twists increasing the angle as well.

5 degrees from what?..

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
i have lowered trucks before and they came with 6 deg. shims... i wouldnt go any more than about 8 deg. at ride height....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts