LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting my son a new toy at Walmart, when I passed by the model car section and saw a huge selection of "Testers" enamel paints.

They had some realy nice colors, colors I know that 1shot or HOK do not offer.........so I was wounders how Testers enamel would hold out on a car?

any of you who pinstripe ever use this type of enamel?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
my guess is no... the real HOK striping paints aren't recommended to hold up on a car without being cleared.. and even 1shot the most durable can be chipped so i wouldn't even bother with it and never heard of anyone using it.

HOK and 1shot aren't that expensive and offer any color you would want so i would stay away from it

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1shot colors are limited
and HOK's are 2 stage urethanes (need clear coating) so if you'r working under the clearcoat, then you pretty much can use any urathane color for stripping.

But I'm looking for a large range of collers in a 1 stage enamel.

I know 1shop is the best in the indestry, I just wish they had a brouder color selection.

When I saw testers enamels, I couldn't beleave the large selection of colors they had......and some were realy nice and would be great for pinstripping.

Durability is the only concern........I know that even 1shot will degrade or scratch off overtime........but how would other makers enamels hold up compared to 1shot?

And would Testers hold up to at least a couple years like 1shot?

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
I have a One Shot color chart right here.... 44 colors available in the lettering enamels and 10 more pearlescent enamel colors available. And like the DOGG said, you can make any color you want.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by Mi Estilo CC@Jul 25 2005, 05:22 PM
I was getting my son a new toy at Walmart, when I passed by the model car section and saw a huge selection of "Testers" enamel paints.

They had some realy nice colors, colors I know that 1shot or HOK do not offer.........so I was wounders how Testers enamel would hold out on a car?

any of you who pinstripe ever use this type of enamel?
[snapback]3476273[/snapback]​

testor has more colors cause most are metallic....

not so good when apply by a brush...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know how many colors both HOK and 1shot have.......I don't even conceder HOK as tru pinstripping paint, cuz you can't put it over the clear...........If it's going under the clear, any urethane reduced right will work for striping.

But over the clear, you'r stuck with an enamel type........1shot has limited colors.....though I know you can mix your own, it would be nice to have a ready premix when ever you want it..

Well anyway......thenks for your responces, and if anybody els wanted to know if you can use Testers enamel for auto pinstriping........it turns out that you can :biggrin:
You just need to add a drop or 2 of enamel hardner to the mix ;)

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
Originally posted by Mi Estilo CC@Jul 26 2005, 10:58 AM~3482585

Well anyway......thenks for your responces, and if anybody els wanted to know if you can use Testers enamel for auto pinstriping........it turns out that you can :biggrin:
You just need to add a drop or 2 of enamel hardner to the mix ;)
post up close up pics please

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL.......no I didn't end up useing the testers.......I whent it about it safe and picked up some 1shot :biggrin: .........but when I did I asked about the testers.........they told me as long as I add a pit of hardner to it, it should work.

And I do have a topic on my first attempt at pinstripping.......but it wasn't pretty :(

O

·
0 Posts
that testor paint is full of binder, not enough solid. it would leave bad brush marks, and bleed through.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Originally posted by Mi Estilo CC@Oct 21 2005, 01:10 PM~4045842
LOL.......no I didn't end up useing the testers.......I whent it about it safe and picked up some 1shot :biggrin: .........but when I did I asked about the testers.........they told me as long as I add a pit of hardner to it, it should work.

And I do have a topic on my first attempt at pinstripping.......but it wasn't pretty :(
i was about to say that..do a test panel..clear it and candy over it..see if anything happends..but on top of clear i think would look nice cause it has more gloss then 1shot.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
i really dont like using enamels for striping just because I've had bad experience with uncompatiblity problems, you always forget something down the road and end up with a big ass vein down the side of your car or something horrible because you forgot to take off all that enamel.
but using testors,I'd be just as apt to spray paint my ssptipes.I've airbrushed some stuff around the house with it testors, its fun mixing colors together for custom colors.just watch it cause they do have acrylic in the same section. i accidentally got some of it and was fixing to mix it with some enamel before i realized.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an avid believer of using the proper materials for any project I truly believe that once a person knows what their purpose is, professionalism will soon follow.

I personally would never use a paint not knowing what it is, whether lacquer, enamel or urethane enamel and Testers falls into that catagory even though smelling the paint can most likely tell you what it is.

I've used HoK striping paints over clearcoats for many years with excellent results even on my own stuff. My site has been up for years and has helped many make up their own minds.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts