LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what up homeys :cool:

so Im lookin to upgrade the setup I got now, esp after cruisin this weekend lol

whats the pros/cons of a piston pump? not new to hydraulics but Ive not been around anyone w/ piston setup.. break it down

thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
unless u plan on hopping ?its a pain in the ass..lol

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Oct 15 2007, 11:17 AM~9005117
unless u plan on hopping ?its a pain in the ass..lol
Why would a piston pump be a pain in the ass. Just leave it empty when you wanna use it as a standard pump and fill it when you wanna hop. Do you personnaly own one?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would this be a PITA?? you talkin about the install itself, or maintenance issues homey

it will be going on my daily driver, so Im tryin to get an idea of what the good things are and what bad things I may expect

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
They work just fine. Just remeber to empty them when you do your maint.. there was a members thread around her where he almost lost his life!!!! But on a ever day driver just keep it empty until yo ready to clown.. ;) We have 3 juiced 3-4 pump dailey drivers in our shop.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Originally posted by fundimotorsports@Oct 15 2007, 12:05 PM~9005606
They work just fine. Just remeber to empty them when you do your maint.. there was  a members thread around her where he almost lost his life!!!! But on a ever day driver just keep it empty until yo ready to clown..  ;)  We have 3 juiced 3-4 pump dailey drivers in our shop..  :biggrin:
Very well put Fundi!

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Originally posted by SIK_9D1@Oct 15 2007, 12:10 PM~9005650
Very well put Fundi!
ya that kat was just changing his oil . he had pic and almost lost the side of his face. the block took a chunk out of his head.. Very lucky ryder... ;)

but having a piston is no diff. Just remember safty first or just keep empty untill shows or weekend ridding. we keep a air pump or a small nitro tank for comps.. :biggrin:

air tank gets a good 55 psi..
nitro tank and camera time. about 100psi.
otherwise empty and she still hit 30 inches..

Black magic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are some pros/cons on a piston pump?
I want to put one for the front obviously, but I want to know what I can expect from a piston pump (reliability, performance, durability etc)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by fundimotorsports@Oct 15 2007, 03:05 PM~9005606
They work just fine. Just remeber to empty them when you do your maint.. there was  a members thread around her where he almost lost his life!!!! But on a ever day driver just keep it empty until yo ready to clown..  ;)  We have 3 juiced 3-4 pump dailey drivers in our shop..  :biggrin:
how often/what is done for maintenance??

and what do you mean keep it empty

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
They can work like reg tanks.. ;) You just air that fucker up when you want to play.. Working on a caddi with 4 piston pumps this weekend.. Just for show tho. the only thing a piston gives you is a little extra push in the block. we have a regal 1' block regulor set-up and it hits 50's. Black magic 5 tons on the front 6 batts to the front. so really it all comes down to your set-up and timing.

piston pumps look so cool tho :biggrin: And one tap on the switch kills me to lock the other regal up on 6 batts. piston to the noise..hahahahha

but my boy built both regals as daileys and to see if the piston was doing anything..

2-3 hits without air up.. 6 batts 30-40 inches
1 hit aired at 75 psi 6 batts low charge 36-50 inches.. :biggrin:

Like I said both are dailey drivers. nothing facy shits not even painted. but they both have 13's and that one big as soda can switch..... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gaaaaaaah damn homey thats what up :cool:

so its more about air/psi goin thru the block then fluid huh? I imagine thats controlled by a tank, or how does that work?

and how is the install on this, sounds like Ill be removing my old front pump soon :cool:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
its basically a big bubble on one end of your tank (isolated fromthe oil flow) which puts pressure on the oil to run through your gears faster when it pumps it.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Originally posted by LA Style@Oct 15 2007, 01:26 PM~9006297
gaaaaaaah damn homey thats what up :cool:

so its more about air/psi goin thru the block then fluid huh? I imagine thats controlled by a tank, or how does that work?

and how is the install on this, sounds like Ill be removing my old front pump soon :cool:
Its still fluid. Just air presure behind it. Like a held in Fart.. the piston pushes the oil thru the block unlike oil just getting sucked up by gears like regulor set-up..

I going 3 pump hopefully for x-mas. piston to the noise. this allows 4 or 6 batts installs to show what they can do.. :biggrin:

6 dead batts and 2 pumps.. we were trying out the Black magic piston and had a battery go bad . and forgot to bring the charger. so really 5 batts and 50% batt life.. :angry: still placed for single to the noise.. free motor (hydro) and $200 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hows the air press regulated?

BTW nice analogy :biggrin: :roflmao:

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Originally posted by LA Style@Oct 15 2007, 02:07 PM~9006562
hows the air press regulated?

BTW nice analogy :biggrin:  :roflmao:
The piston is act in the tank with o rings and stuff. It has a air valve on it. hook a hose up and fill. you can check with a guage tank .. But when you want to check that oil (pop) plug make shure you deflate that tank.. otherwise oil all over ..

When th eoil returns it pushes the piston back like a accumulator in the oil tank. My front pump for X-mas if the wife will let me... :biggrin:

My set up is like this now but not a piston tank.. :tears: I will be switching my whole top unit around when I order that fucker from ron tho.. :biggrin:

·
GOFUCKURSELF
16,534 Posts
Originally posted by SIK_9D1@Oct 15 2007, 11:25 AM~9005189
Why would a piston pump be a pain in the ass. Just leave it empty when you wanna use it as a standard pump and fill it when you wanna hop. Do you personnaly own one?
I agree...............it has not been a pain in the ass...............and i never discharge mine unless i need to do maintenance or change coils................. :cool:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks homey, you givin some good info
hows the install on it? is there any certain way to position the pump??

tried searchin on here for any other info but LiL servers suck! lol

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Originally posted by LA Style@Oct 15 2007, 02:42 PM~9006823
thanks homey, you givin some good info
hows the install on it? is there any certain way to position??

tried searchin on here but LiL servers suck! lol
Just like a regulor pump.. ;) Just a little longer.. and thats a side port. But the make sum top ports too for no room installs..

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by SIK_9D1@Oct 15 2007, 12:25 PM~9005189
i own 3 personally and if your not hopping u dont really need them..i dischrge after every hop... :cool:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts