LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the only reason I went to go fool with my car this morning was to change the tire. I changed the tire and tried to start the car... ok the car was turning over but it wouldn't start. It had been sitting for about a week and freezing outside, so no big deal I changed the battery and with a loud backfire it started right up..... ok now it sounds like junk so I need a muffler too, but again no biggie right? Well after about 10mins. of warming the car, I try to move the car and it cuts off... :uh: OOO k. I turn the key again and I got nothing.....and I mean nothing happended.
The lights, radio and everything else works, but the engine ain't doing nothing. So after I rubbed my temples in disgust and fustration, I wiggled the battery cables, but I still got zip. Please help me.

It's and 67 impala with a 350. I'd beed having a couple problems lately with carburator, but it ain't even turning over.

Last edited by BUTTAFINGUZ at Dec 30 2003, 03:03 PM

·
Burbans & Lacs
2,168 Posts
maybe your alternator...i had a similar problem with my 91 caprice...car would start right up with a boost run for a minute or two and die...but the battery still had enough juice for the lights and radio and other accesories but not enough to kick the starter to turn the motor over. check all your connections...but most likely its your alternator

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
WIRING HARDNEST ON THE FIRE WALL....CHECK IT!!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
neutral saftey switch, under column I beleive. try starting in neutral.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
turn your lights on and try to start the car... if they dim or go out its the batt.... if the dont dim its a bad starter

Last edited by rollin low in a grand prix at Jan 3 2004, 07:52 PM

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by BUTTAFINGUZ@Dec 30 2003, 03:05 PM
Naw, I checked and it ain't the alternator. What should I be checking next?
the only way i know how to check an altenator is to use a volt meeter while the car is running and check the batt volts..if its like 13 or 14 that means the alt. is working properly. you said you cant start or run the car so how can you say the alt. is good. did you take it to a-zone and have them test it?

an other thing is dont purchase alt.s or starters from auto zone..they are junk.... napa for parts like that :cool:

Last edited by rollin low in a grand prix at Jan 3 2004, 07:52 PM

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
my 64 straight died on me a few times last year while I was driving, and a few times it just wouldnt start at all..

I eventually found the problem, it was the harness plugs at the firewall...

I also had to headlights when that happened..

good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts