LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive seen plenty of posts bout people blowing their bags. im thinking about gettin bags for by 67 buick. but am wondering....when you bags blow, while your driving freeway or whereever, does your car stairght up hit the ground and fuck up your frame? anyone got any stories?? after reading the hyrdo section bout runnaway pumps and switchboxes hittin the floor i said fuck that. any stories??? im interested to know. orale

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wherever your car lays frame/body when its all the way down, thats where it'll be (just alittle quicker) if you blow a bag. :cool:

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
When my front right bag blew out my whole front came down and dragged the crossmember. I felt like I was in a minitruck lol. Had to ride sideways home.

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anyone ever had any experience with these http://ridetech.com/productinfo/airoverleaf.asp
im thinking about getting them, BUT im not sure if their only used for cars without coild in the back, cuz thats what the diagram shows. if i can keep my rear coil and remove a leaf spring then i wont trip as much is i blow a bag cuz then ill still have the coil for some ride height. can anyone elaborate, these look dope and dont seem as expensive. thanks. orale

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Like 1lowsuv said, where ever your car sits when it's all the way laid out is exactly where it'll sit if a bag blows. My car lays on the frame, so if I were to blow one I would be fucked! But when I had 14"s I was about an inch off the ground so I would've been alright just low.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
When the kit is installed you have to think about the possibilities of some type of failure. If bags are set-up correctly there should be very little risk of a bag popping. A firestone, a contitech or a slam would be a bag that I would consider to be bulletproof. When we try to get bags with crazy lift then we have to worry about crimps blowing etc. The only way a bag will blow during normal use would be due to installer error or a defect. By installer error I mean either the bag is left loose or it is allowed to rub on something which will eventually wear through. The cars that pple try to HOP, are designed to rub high pressures and really put everything to its limits. If you set-up a car to hop, or to lay frame, or 3 wheel you have to deal with the consequences. When set-up for normal cruising and when dropped to sit on some sort of bumpstop the chances of something going wrong are greatly reduced, and in the event that they do, just drop it and drive it to somewhere to have it checked out. Im sure everyone has heard bad stories, but at the same time there are many cars out there that have been bagged for years without any problems. I have dealt with both ends of the spectrum and can tell a customer from the beginning what he hsa to fear or what he has to look forward to depending on what he wants out of the car. Hope that helps.

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by nyccustomizer@Aug 17 2006, 06:17 PM~5989139
When the kit is installed you have to think about the possibilities of some type of failure.  If bags are set-up correctly there should be very little risk of a bag popping.  A firestone, a contitech or a slam would be a bag that I would consider to be bulletproof.  When we try to get bags with crazy lift then we have to worry about crimps blowing etc.  The only way a bag will blow during normal use would be due to installer error or a defect.  By installer error I mean either the bag is left loose or it is allowed to rub on something which will eventually wear through.  The cars that pple try to HOP, are designed to rub high pressures and really put everything to its limits.  If you set-up a car to hop, or to lay frame, or 3 wheel you have to deal with the consequences.  When set-up for normal cruising and when dropped to sit on some sort of bumpstop the chances of something going wrong are greatly reduced, and in the event that they do, just drop it and drive it to somewhere to have it checked out.  Im sure everyone has heard bad stories, but at the same time there are many cars out there that have been bagged for years without any problems.  I have dealt with both ends of the spectrum and can tell a customer from the beginning what he hsa to fear or what he has to look forward to depending on what he wants out of the car.  Hope that helps.
the bumpstop idea is aight, i carried a couple small 2x4 planks and a scizzor jack so if a bag blew u could just wedge the wood in and creep home

·
Registered
640 Posts
You most likely will blow a bag while your playing around
so it shouldn't just come out of no where.
I have the 13" bags but...
if you want a problem free bag don't get banded ones.

I blew a bag once in town. Sounded like a shotgun blast.
I just raised the other three up and limped home before I got the wrong attention....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Aug 17 2006, 06:54 PM~5990221
the bumpstop idea is aight, i carried a couple small 2x4 planks and a scizzor jack so if a bag blew u could just wedge the wood in and creep home
i do this with my hydros, just to b able to get my ride home if i burn up or break or bend something to bad

ounce made a set of upper trailing arms at my buddys house out of wood b/c i twisted and tweaked the other ones so bad that it put the driveshaft in a bind. not safe but it got me home about 7 blocks away

1 - 12 of 12 Posts