LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the airbag setup and was hoping to get some info. ive been reading the forums to try to get an understanding but then i get cofused. can someone answer some questions for me.

1. tanks have different number of ports, whats the difference and benefits?

2. online shops sell all sorts of valves, what is needed for a setup

3. is 2 pressure guages fine or do you want a gauge for each tire, or are the 2 guage sets setup for just front and back?

4. I have an 85 monte carlo (nonss) on 14inch 100 spokes. i want to bag it. i want to do FBSS, no hopping but i want a good set up and alot of play time.
i want to do it right the first time so im dont have to continue upgrading it. would 2-5 gallon tanks with 4-480 compressors(2 per tank) be overkill. and if i got 2 tanks and 2 compressors per tank would i need to change my electircal system? and then back to question 1? what tank would i need for fbss, i dont understand the whole port deal on the tanks.

5. what would a GOOD set up be for FBSS? good, not crazy, just a really nice setup.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by mrm4155@Jan 23 2010, 04:23 AM~16383870
im new to the airbag setup and was hoping to get some info. ive been reading the forums to try to get an understanding but then i get cofused. can someone answer some questions for me.

1. tanks have different number of ports, whats the difference and benefits?

2. online shops sell all sorts of valves, what is needed for a setup

3. is 2 pressure guages fine or do you want a gauge for each tire, or are the 2 guage sets setup for just front and back?

4. I have an 85 monte carlo (nonss) on 14inch 100 spokes. i want to bag it. i want to do FBSS, no hopping but i want a good set up and alot of play time.
i want to do it right the first time so im dont have to continue upgrading it. would 2-5 gallon tanks with 4-480 compressors(2 per tank) be overkill. and if i got 2 tanks and 2 compressors per tank would i need to change my electircal system? and then back to question 1? what tank would i need for fbss, i dont understand the whole port deal on the tanks.

5. what would a GOOD set up be for FBSS? good, not crazy, just a really nice setup.

THANKS!!
First off welcome to the site,there's allot of sharp people on this site to learn from so pay attention.

-number of port's kinda depends on your set up.How many compressors your running,how many valves.Your really not supposed to mount valves to the tank but i've done it anlong w/ just about every one else w/ virtually no problems.
-Yeas there are a number of brands out there when it comes to valves.As long as you stay w/ name brand ones's you'll be fine like parker,asco,danz stay away from cheap valves you'll pay for it later
-Your wanting FBSS so you'll need 8 valves 4=fills and 4=dumps
-Well as for gauges being your doing a FBSS i'd get 2 dual needle gauges and yes you'll be able to monitor each wheel individually this way.You can also get 1 single need guage also monitor teh psi level in your tank to,it's not mandatory by any means but some like being able to see how much psi is in ther tank
-Well viair recommends 1 compressor to 1 5 gal. tank.Here's the thing about air ride.It's not about how many gallons of air you have it's about consistent PSI.Allot of guys i've talked to like running 2 compressors either viair 380 or 480 on a 5 to 8 gal tank.There's a pretty quick recovery time and it's a faraeley compact set up.Yes when you start adding compressors yes you'll need to upgrade you'll electrical system.Them compressors can put a big strain and cause problems if your not carefull.

as for a set up
I've always said...It's allot easier to slow down a air system than it is to speed it up.Meaning to speed it up usually involves replacing air line,valves etc.So do it as big as you can the first time,trust me i've been there it sucks having to buy all new shit.
http://www.airassisted.com/Air-Management-...oduct_info.html
http://www.airassisted.com/Metal-Fabricati...oduct_info.html
http://www.airassisted.com/Metal-Fabricati...ring-mount-kit-[car/truck]/product_info.html

Here's pretty much everything you need right here^^^

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot guys, i am in Iraq right now and i got some money saved up thats burning a hole in my pocket. So when i get the bags put in i will post pics. im thinking about doing it myself but the cutting of the frame/spring pocket and welding the rear bracket talk kinda scares me so ill probably leave it to the local shops in town. we will see. again thanks alot!!

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by mrm4155@Jan 23 2010, 08:43 PM~16389037
thanks alot guys, i am in Iraq right now and i got some money saved up thats burning a hole in my pocket. So when i get the bags put in i will post pics. im thinking about doing it myself but the cutting of the frame/spring pocket and welding the rear bracket talk kinda scares me so ill probably leave it to the local shops in town. we will see. again thanks alot!!
It's really pretty easy.If you can change a tire you can take apart the front and rear suspention really easy.Need a couple jack stands,floor jack and some basic had tools grinder and a saw zaw

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Originally posted by baggedout81@Jan 23 2010, 10:11 PM~16389243
It's really pretty easy.If you can change a tire you can take apart the front and rear suspention really easy.Need a couple jack stands,floor jack and some basic had tools grinder and a saw zaw
Very true. Its pretty simple to install. Welcome to the world of clean trunks and no hydraulic fluid leaks staining everywhere.

·
Registered
777 Posts
ya bro do it your self not hard at all am sure there is some brackets for your car out there and you don't need to cut the frame
I would look for
-slams bags re8 or 7s
-two 5 gallon or a 12 gallon tank
-couple 480 vair compressors
-Alot of valves out there maybe someone can help out with this
-1/2 dot line
-And run 200psi
if you get this stuff i know you would be happy plenty of air 200psi for good lift 1/2 so it gets up pretty fast better to do it right the first time but its up to you GL man hope this helped out

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by $Money Mike$@Jan 23 2010, 09:27 PM~16389969
Very true. Its pretty simple to install. Welcome to the world of clean trunks and no hydraulic fluid leaks staining everywhere.
:thumbsup: :h5:

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
what is this system going in? If you have a car, i.e. cutlass, cadillac, basically anything RWD that needs the bag brackets to be on the axle, you will need to weld that it. If someone tells you that you can bolt it on, shot them and make sure no one ever hears that heinous lie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got an 85 monte carlo, thanks for the info, i just want to make sure im getting the right stuff and its installed right also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts