LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my boy called me up yesterday and says that the front of his car wont lift.

His setup is:
'94 Fleetwood Brougham
2-CCE Competition pumps
4 Italian dumps
2 Prestolite blocks with 6 new ford solenoids
8 batteries

He said when he hit the switch, there was a "funny" noise comming from the switch, and there was clicking coming from the trunk. I figured he had cooked his noid's so that was the first thing I checked, and sure enough they were black and crispy. So we replaced those with new ones.

When he tried to raise it up again there was a series of loud clicks from the back, but no movement. I checked the noid's again and they were ok, so I went over all the electrical connections to make sure they were tight. Then I had him try to lift it with a different switch (pancake) and the noids just clicked a little.

We called the guy he got the car from and he told us to bypass the solenoid block and touch the power from the batts directly to the power to the pump. So I did that and got a lot of sparkage, but nothing from the pump whatsoever.

Could the motor be locked or burnt? What could've caused it? The batteries were fully charged, and only 1 month old. He doesn't run 'em real low either. He doesn't really try to hop at all, but he said that the day before, one of our friends that has a '66 Impala with switches was hopping the caddy a little, but it still worked fine until the next night. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check that. If there is oil in it, it means he needs to replace the pressure seal on the block right?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
no not the pressure seal ... there are 2 seals one on the pressure side and one that the shaft goes through to the motor.... its that one that is bad if there is any oil in it..... shoud lprolly replace both since you're gonna be in there anyway.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
sounds like a bad battery,just 1 dead battery will make your solenoids click like that also,also bad ground,i hope you didnt hook a bunch of batterys too test the motor all you need is one 12v battery too test the motor you can even use your car battery run some jumper cables off it,find a good ground like the rack then the positive clamp just tap it on the motor,make sure the cable that was bolted too the motor is off too

·
Banned
14,534 Posts
yeah I had the same shit happen to me the day before yesterday. I kinda knew that the motor was fucked due to the flames that came out of it. Then I went to hit the switch all I heard was click, click, swapped the motor out and hooked it up to 12 volts and works hella good now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
yea my old motor's would smoke real bad like they were about too catch fire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts