LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1536 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got pics of reinforced frames? wrappings? or anything of that sort? work in progresses, or finished beauties.. anything.. post em up... thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Gotta love the 63-64 Impala frames. I know big pimpin has pics of his frame somewhere....They might be on here actually. I know I've seen em

Attachments

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
HELL YEA HELL YEA HELL YEA!!!!!!

Keep these pics commin i need to see some..thanx

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
How much does it cost to get a wrap done?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Here is my Caddy frame while it was getting wrapped,,its 1/4 on ALL 4 sides, needless to say its a tank, keep in mind no grinding or moulding is done yet,,pics soon hopefully

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
another,,also, the frame was done without any heat,,all done with a porta power,,,so it should be pretty strong

Attachments

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW thats awesome.. thats the same type of frame i got under my monte..

porta power eh? i got one of those.. never thought to use it.. is that more of a time consuming process than just heating it with a torch?

Last edited by 77monte4pumps at Sep 13 2003, 03:45 PM

Attachments

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its like a portable hydraulic press.. they are used often in collision repair to straighten out cars and things..

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Heat weakens the metal,,,,a frame done with no heat should theoretically be stronger,,,plus no beat marks on the metal..as far as time consuming, it depends,,but I know its alot less harder on your body,,the porta power does the work

·
Registered
654 Posts
Heat only weakens a frame when you either

(a) overheat the metal
(b) let the metal cool down too fast

I worked at a steel building fabrication plant and we used to heat some of the beams to actually make them stronger. The key is to get the steel hot enough but way before it glows, then slowly let it cool down. We could let it sit for any hour, slightly reheat it, sit for another and repeat until it was close to room temperature.

The longer it takes for the steel to "solidify", the strong it will be.

Some of the beams I worked with were 6" thick plates of steel which took all day to cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,436 Posts
Originally posted by CrackMasta@Oct 16 2002, 08:07 PM
another,,also, the frame was done without any heat,,all done with a porta power,,,so it should be pretty strong
i would love to see the whole frame....hot pic... keep them coming....

·
Registered
654 Posts
That porta power, it look like this?

Seems kinda akward and bulky to use... maybe some pics of you using it in action?

Personally, I like beating the crap out of steel to wrap a frame... makes it feel more handmade and the dents and dings in the steel give it personality!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Ummm how bout some bondo??? :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
54,754 Posts
Originally posted by Cashish@Oct 17 2002, 10:50 PM
what kinda of work is needed to mold a frame to make it look smooth?
Weld and grind

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1536 Posts