LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started this thread so the people who have done paint jobs for other people can post their stories they have etc.............

you would be surprised at how many people think bodyshops sand down the entire car and reshoot new paint............when all we do is scuff and shoot when the paint is in good condition.............

or all the people out there that doesn't understand how many times we have to tape up the windows and how many times we need to shoot primer and block on a show car and...........ok i'll stop myself here.........

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Hahaha

Most fucks dont understand how much labor it is. People will come up to me and and ask how much for a paintjob and half of them stare at me like I not talking english anymore. when its time for the price.

Get alot of people asking for 10-15 coats of clears tired of explain why its a shit idea.

Alot of people think you can just make you own chameleon colors like a guy asked me to do blay blue to black.

This is big here I painted and sold a bunch of candy painted cars people dont get that candy fades pretty dam fast just sitting in the sun.

If you give people back their car to quick they think you cheated them.

People say that only want certain things fixed then after the car is spray they ask why you didnt do that ? You didnt want to pay me.

People think paint is dirt cheap.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
A guy I work with asked me for a price to paint his Astro van.

I told him 1200, he looks and me and says, well, Maaco only wants 1100

:uh:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Jul 31 2005, 08:56 AM

[snapback]3514192[/snapback]​
I didn't know you paint too .... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I agree will all of these posts....... :uh:

I hate when someone brings me a car saying it needs no body work........but that only cuz they don't coun't dings as body work, maybe they think they magicly disabpear in the process :dunno:

And I'v also had the.........."but there is this other guy will charge me less" ..........en serio what do the realy expect by saying something like that? If I charge 1500 but that other guy does the same job for 800, then well shit....give me his number cuz I got some work for him :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
most people dont understand the price of GOOD materials. people who want a bunch of fades and flake but dont understand the process and how much labor/time it takes. (then they trip out on the price). "ready to spray" cars are funny at my buddies shop. people dont understand when they do body work (well most people), the body shop only winds up wanting to redo it because it was so poorly done. people who think they helped the body shop because they primered the shit out of the car, not knowing they just added a shit load of work for them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Jul 31 2005, 08:56 AM

[snapback]3514192[/snapback]​
:roflmao:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well im new to this whole thing and to be honest...when I first heard you "painters" say the price of what u charged... I was like "what the fuck" and i wasnt willing to go over $1200 or so. But now I have seen some of the work that u guys have to do to the car to at least make the car look even half decent. So after I have seen all of this now I willing to pay some big bucks (like $2000 :ugh: :biggrin: ) for a decent paint jobs (cause i aint looking for no car show paint job).

And still I really dont know what the process is to go through the body work and then paint. Can some of you pro's school me and tell me how you go throught the process? Would really help because the more I understand the more im willing to pay (more than $2000 :biggrin: :angry: ) But just tell me in some simple steps.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Originally posted by 91CADDY@Jul 31 2005, 05:28 PM
Well im new to this whole thing and to be honest...when I first heard you "painters"  say the price of what u charged... I was like "what the fuck" and i wasnt willing to go over $1200 or so.  But now I have seen some of the work that u guys have to do to the car to at least make the car look even half decent.  So after I have seen all of this now I willing to pay some big bucks (like $2000  :ugh:  :biggrin: ) for a decent paint jobs (cause i aint looking for no car show paint job).

And still I really dont know what the process is to go through the body work and then paint.  Can some of you pro's school me and tell me how you go throught the process? Would really help because the more I understand the more im willing to pay (more than $2000  :biggrin:  :angry: )  But just tell me in some simple steps.
[snapback]3515971[/snapback]​
i aint no pro but first they need to git rid of rust do all the metal work wet sand primer then wet sand base coat then wet sand then paint wet sand clear then wet sand correct me if im wrong lotsa work

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
It's bad up here,people are so fucking cheap,you quote a job at $3500 and they offer half,WTF!I don't go to a building contractor get an estimate and try to low ball them why do people think they can pull this with their cars?
Oh yeah,if someone say they want a price for paint only no bodywork,that always makes me laugh,they don't realize paint won't make shit look good!
The guy who always does it for less,let them go there,I don't need customers like that!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My top three are-

Price of materials...most times materials are 25% of the cost of the paint job...sometimes MORE! I'm not making any money on the materials.

Quality of materials...people think they can just put the cheapest paint they can find on their rides. #1- it doesn't last as long, and #2- they are normally harder to work with. Time spent f-ing around with bunk materials is money out of MY pocket!

"Paint ready" is just that...ready to paint. Not, "Oh, just run over it with some 400." I don't do body work, so when I get to a car that is supposedly "paint ready", you should see some of the bullshit people try to get me to paint. LOTS of times I don't see the car for another month or two while it gets straightened out.

Don't get me wrong, I love to paint...but these things drive me up a friggin' wall!!!!!! :burn:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by 91CADDY@Jul 31 2005, 08:02 PM
Just to get bodywork done alone...How much is that?  I need to know these things.
[snapback]3517386[/snapback]​

Depends on the condition of the car, I am doing a 73 mustang vert right now and i quoted 100 hrs for the body, and its only got one small rust spot, that means this guy is paying my shop around $3000 for just the body work. We consider this a mild resto. I have done one car that is a show winner and that body took over 500 hrs. You get what you pay for.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Jul 31 2005, 11:09 PM
Depends on the condition of the car,  I am doing a 73 mustang vert right now and i quoted 100 hrs for the body,  and its only got one small rust spot,  that means this guy is paying my shop around $3000 for just the body work.  We consider this a mild resto.  I have done one car that is a show winner and that body took over 500 hrs.  You get what you pay for.
[snapback]3517442[/snapback]​
425 hours of which were spent doing dogfuck I presume....

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
fuck it. i just flat turn them down......

the way i see if it, if something needs to get done like dings and shit...
and dont want to pay for it....im like sorry...

cuz overall its part of the finish...if im going to say i did it...well...its going to be done right 100%....

peolple always asking me how much to do this and that...flat out..i wont do it....

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Originally posted by 91CADDY@Jul 31 2005, 08:02 PM
Just to get bodywork done alone...How much is that?  I need to know these things.
[snapback]3517386[/snapback]​
that brings up another thing, but usually involves people online. "how much would this type of paint job run me?" cant really answer that because 1) different areas, different prices 2) depends on the experience of the painter a lot of times 3) depends if the painter has a lot of overhead/shop costs 4) depends on the materials used 5) depends on what the paint is for (show car/daily/whatever)

body work for a car that has dents, no real rust repair, no replacing of a bunch of metal is usually going to cost you from 1200-1500 here. some people are pricier and pickier. i know someone who charges 3500-4000 on cars that need mild body work. in orange county you have A LOT of shops that are 10 grand and up painters. they get it all day. you do get what you pay for, these cars come out like museum pieces (well at least the outside :biggrin: ) got guys like Foose, Santini and Boyd getting high dollar on what they do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a question what is considered quality materials we all know not all paint shops is honest. There should be a thread about what to look for when your trying to get your car painted through a shop. I would like to know what im facing as a customer with paint jobs its like a one and done thing. Im taking body shop classes this fall one to save myself money and to learn I wish they had a custom paint class.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts