LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda prep does everybody do to the mouldings on the rockers to paint same color as car?????im bout to paint my 93' Fleetwood and want to paint the mouldings too..any info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by LUXURIOU$LAC@Oct 15 2007, 01:42 PM~9004870
i always thought they anodized them a transparent color?

He is talking about the actual plastic strip on the mouldings. ;)

·
Registered
21,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah,,,the grey MOULDINGS......not the actual chrome rockers......do i just sand and spray?...or do i need to prime them first?..or..???????with all the damn cars i seen with them sprayed,,,somebody has to know somthing......Big Doe??????????anybody????

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
bulldog.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
i would clean them off really well, then either hit it with some sand paper...or a red scotch brite. after all that, wipe it down again with alcohol, and put an adhesion promoter on it. then paint how you want/prime or go straight to sealer and paint...

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Spent about 2 days prepping mine with scotch bright, got into every groove, didnt use any special promoters and it stuck real good.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by hearse driver@Oct 15 2007, 01:28 PM~9006312
bulldog.....
X2 ;)

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
those are painted grey from the factory or are they bare colored plastic????? if they are painted you can just scuff and paint like normal, if they are bare plastic, clean thorughly with something like VIM bathroom cleaner, then scuff with GREY scotch brite, clean with wax and grease remover, spray a light coat of plastic parts adhesion promoter, then you can either go striaght in to your basecoat or for optimal coverage and adhesion i spray a coat of sealer then base.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
I spent hours scuffing..then cleaned..used bulldog promoter just to be safe.

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 15 2007, 09:36 PM~9010544
those are painted grey from the factory or are they bare colored plastic????? if they are painted you can just scuff and paint like normal, if they are bare plastic, clean thorughly with something like VIM bathroom cleaner, then scuff with GREY scotch brite, clean with wax and grease remover, spray a light coat of plastic parts adhesion promoter, then you can either go striaght in to your basecoat or for optimal coverage and adhesion i spray a coat of sealer then base.
you have to scuff the shit out of them , im not sure what the coating is on them from the factory , it looks and sands like a gelcoat, but the parts are atype of rubber plastic shit........

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Originally posted by hearse driver@Oct 17 2007, 03:29 PM~9024429
you have to scuff the shit out of them , im not sure what the coating is on them from the factory , it looks and sands like a gelcoat, but the parts are atype of rubber plastic shit........
you dont want to be to agressive with plastic parts, trust me. FIRST clean with VIM, once you have rinsed that off, then scuff with waterHOT HOT, and grey scotch brite, if you feel you want a little more use a sanding paste, suitable for blend area prepping.

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
ok for the non painters what i said is DONT ATTACK YOUR PANELS WITH 180 GRIT PAPER it will raise up little hairlike crap that is a pain to get rid of , instead follow the above instructions.... i take it for granted that most o the population knows what not to do.......

·
Cadillacin'
89 Posts
I want to paint mine too, how do you get the side ones off without breaking them? And whats a good brand of paint to use?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i taped mine off with masking tape and paper and sprayed Rustoleom all purpose spray paint on mine, i did two coats. its been about 6 months and it looks great, no chips or anything. just make sure u keep a equal distance from the trim so ur coats come out even

heres a pic

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Lo_N_Lavish@Jul 15 2008, 08:01 AM~11092374
i taped mine off with masking tape and paper and sprayed Rustoleom all purpose spray paint on mine, i did two coats. its been about 6 months and it looks great, no chips or anything. just make sure u keep a equal distance from the trim so ur coats come out even

heres a pic

:yes: :thumbsup: rustoleum....masked it all off, scuffed with a brillo pad(scotchbrite) then primed to cover the little defects and then painted :biggrin: if you got the money you can spray some real paint on there to match your ride and clear it, but rustoleum is a clean paint job on a budget :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts