LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of people out here dont care for Prestolite blocks, I am one of those people. But I do have a question. I have a few blocks laying around here, probley about 6 of them or so. I have taken them apart and swaped noids out from other ones to make them work again.

My questions is, where can i get replacement noids at? I mean is their a part # for them if I was to say go into Autozone to get them? There has got to be a replacement noid for these blocks.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Nov 24 2003, 08:45 AM
Why don't people care for them? I haven't heard anyone complain. I've always used them even on small set-ups and they've been fine for me.... :dunno:
no problems here either, I have used every voltage on them up to 72 volts with no problems. But, they do not like 96 volts and up, all the ones I have seen burn up were at 96 or higher

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Nov 24 2003, 08:45 AM
Why don't people care for them? I haven't heard anyone complain. I've always used them even on small set-ups and they've been fine for me.... :dunno:
Why? Because they are garbage.. cheaply built with shit solenoids, they are totally worthless misengineered pieces of ass. Thats why I personally dont like em... lol

I now only use accurates. They have much heavier springs along with much thicker and harder contact surfaces. Take a block apart once and gut one of the noids in it, then take an accurate noid apart. The difference in their build quality is very noticable.

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
yeah we use them on just about everything the problem is most people do not maintain there system by keeping the batteries charged or the system was not grounded properly to begin with. but for most applications they work great, but when using excessive voltage bob is right

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
prestolite blocks suck ass, I burnt up 6 of them with STREET SWEEPAZ in a matter of 2 weeks, and I had my batts on a trickle charge each night

so they almost set my trunck on fire too :uh: :angry:

·
Registered
237 Posts
i got 2 blocks and 4 accuarates in my seup 1 accurate has gone so far in 8 months 4 pumps 6 battz onna bodydropped lincoln ;) i like if they dont break on me or stick!! scaryyy

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with BOB T, But heres another problem with them.

Say you own 2 blocks on a 2 pump setup, what happens when one noid goes out in the block? If you dont have any spare blocks around you got to buy a whole another block.

So can anyone answer the question, is there replacement noids that you can buy for these blocks over the counter?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Nov 24 2003, 05:56 PM
So can anyone answer the question, is there replacement noids that you can buy for these blocks over the counter?
Yes! you can buy replacement solenoids to fit into a block. If you are going to use motorcraft noids for example, they are the same style noids that are used in the 93-95 taurus, as those are the ones that have the vertical, rather than horizontal terminals.

The problem though is that even the most "heavy duty" solenoids that you can put in those blocks, are still no better than the ones that originally came in them. They have weak ass springs, soft copper contact points and a relatively small and thin copper contact disc. And at $10 or so each, replacing the 3 noids isnt much better than just buying a whole new block.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob+Nov 24 2003, 04:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cadillac Bob @ Nov 24 2003, 04:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ALOW1@Nov 24 2003, 05:56 PM
Yes! you can buy replacement solenoids to fit into a block. If you are going to use motorcraft noids for example, they are the same style noids that are used in the 93-95 taurus, as those are the ones that have the vertical, rather than horizontal terminals.

The problem though is that even the most "heavy duty" solenoids that you can put in those blocks, are still no better than the ones that originally came in them. They have weak ass springs, soft copper contact points and a relatively small and thin copper contact disc. And at $10 or so each, replacing the 3 noids isnt much better than just buying a whole new block.[/b][/quote]
Bob, thanks for the input, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I have about 6 blocks laying around, and thought if I culd fix em cheap I would sell them. And if you could get the noids for around6 bucks and they were decent, then it would be worth running them. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Nov 24 2003, 06:22 PM
Bob, thanks for the input, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I have about 6 blocks laying around, and thought if I culd fix em cheap I would sell them. And if you could get the noids for around6 bucks and they were decent, then it would be worth running them. Thanks again for the input.
Here is a link to the direct replacement noid from the NAPA page:

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...6&usrcommgrpid=

Though like I say, you can get em cheaper elsewhere. I think I have even seen those same style noids for 10 bucks or so at other local auto parts, but that at least shows ya what they look like :biggrin:

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
the blocks do look cleaner, but are not woth the $$$$$, get some accurates, or even ford style solenoids, my battery went before my noids did last time I let someone borrow my car,LOL :0 ;)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by BigNasty85Regal@Nov 25 2003, 07:09 PM
the blocks do look cleaner, but are not woth the $$$$$, get some accurates, or even ford style solenoids, my battery went before my noids did last time I let someone borrow my car,LOL :0 ;)
I agree, they do look clean but thats about it, Anybody want to know why they suck? Read up a couple posts and see what Bob T had to say about them, he nailed it right on the head.

Its too bad there werent any better blocks out there that were of a better quality.

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1+Nov 25 2003, 07:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Nov 25 2003, 07:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BigNasty85Regal@Nov 25 2003, 07:09 PM
the blocks do look cleaner, but are not woth the $$$$$, get some accurates, or even ford style solenoids, my battery went before my noids did last time I let someone borrow my car,LOL :0  ;)
I agree, they do look clean but thats about it, Anybody want to know why they suck? Read up a couple posts and see what Bob T had to say about them, he nailed it right on the head.

Its too bad there werent any better blocks out there that were of a better quality.[/b][/quote]
yep, but they do make good post for some accuurates :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1+Nov 25 2003, 07:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Nov 25 2003, 07:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BigNasty85Regal@Nov 25 2003, 07:09 PM
the blocks do look cleaner, but are not woth the $$$$$, get some accurates, or even ford style solenoids, my battery went before my noids did last time I let someone borrow my car,LOL :0  ;)

Its too bad there werent any better blocks out there that were of a better quality.[/b][/quote]
*** Hold on here -- I am BOB_T...... I am thinkin that you are confusing me with anthony the BigNasty85Regal....... I use his AOL so, that could throw you off........But i did go thru a shit load of blocks tho...... & then i burnt up my trunk area that was all done up & matching my interior... THAT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was all fiberglassed in & had some spray adhesive & all that caught on fire quick like & was in a big ball of flame in no time......... :angry:

** So i smashed my brand new "painted to match" switch box on the ground.. :0

·
Registered
544 Posts
they come in a plastic casing
thenoid burns up so they all do eventually
the problemwith them is that the casing burns up also
making a bigger flame and melted plastic mess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts