LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some work on my quarter panel around the wheel well. i got everything looking good and smooth there was some bare metal so i shot some Self-Etching Primer over it. when i did that i could see there was some sand marks and some feathering that showed though. now should i try to cover up the sand marks with the self etching or just smooth out the self etching and try to fill in some sand marks with surfacer

just wanted to know the difference between:

Self-Etching Primer

Surfacer

Sealer

thanks!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
your gonna see sand scratches when you spray etching primer,
etching primer is a very thin primer and it gives metal an etch so paint/primer can stick to,
what grit did you finish the primer in and what kind of primer is it ???
your probably going to want to finish the last sanding with 400-600 sandpaper,
depending on final color,

primer/surfacer is a 2k primer that is sprayed over your car and that primer can be wetsanded
some 2k primers can be used as a final sealer,
sealer is a final primer you spray on the car before you spray your paint, i like spraying a sealer while in the booth for better adhesion and so the car will be all one color.
do your homework, alot of paint companies have a tech sheet or info on the product they sell and give you an idea what its used for,

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
etching primer is just for adhesion, provides little to no protection, it needs to be top coated. you really want epoxy or 2k (i avoid etching primer all together), both stick to metal straight up (2k mostly all small areas though, you wouldnt use 2k directly over an entire bare metal panel). epoxy is more for adhesion and corrosion protection, not the greatest for bodywork. 2k is more for adhesion and body work, it doesnt provide much corrosion protection.

i always use a combination of 2k and epoxy, thats it.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cool im using BASF's limco paint. im doing a single stage gold metalic. its going to be a cheap paint job (cuz thats all i can afford for right now) just to get me by for a little while but i still want it to look as good as i can get it. my boss owns a body shop and he is going to spray the color for me. he said that single stage doesnt need a primer only in the spots where it is bare metal, is that true?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Hoss805@Jan 15 2009, 05:01 PM~12715488
he's right, as long as the rest of the body has some material on it, you do not have to primer it, just the spots that are bare metal,

really, thats cool. can i wet sand and buff single stage mettalic to get a shine? havent ever messed with single stage but i got the whole paint kit for free ;)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by jumper@Jan 15 2009, 03:21 PM~12715658
really, thats cool. can i wet sand and buff single stage mettalic to get a shine? havent ever messed with single stage but i got the whole paint kit for free  ;)
not really,
theres nothing covering the metallic so your gonna burn into it
you can throw a few coats over the SS

G

·
yeah only time i use etch primer is if im stripping a panel down to bare metal.

stripper
self etch prime, then mud work then 2k primer over the mud worked spots, then blocked then 2k over entire panel then final block then sealer then base,etxc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts