LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do people get their cars primered and drive around with them for months before they paint them. I see it all the time. BUt I keep looking for primers to do my car with but they all say they will begin to bouble after about 3 weeks. I wanted to primer my car black and get the body work done until I could afford to get it completely painted. I need high build primer. I was going to use ppg k36. But now I am having secon thought. I am planning to do some filler work this weekend. Should I use spraypaint over it to seal it up because the car will be outside. Will spray paint seal up filler spots?

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Just get some 2k primer homie.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like whch ones becuase they say the ppg k36 is 2k but after 3 weeks it starts to bouble from watergettin through it and under it. Whats a couple good models and what brands are they.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only primer that is totally waterproof is epoxy primer.
If you use anything else you may be asking for trouble.
A good 2k may work out ok but I wouldn't trust it,
it's water resistent, not waterproof.
It's still a bad idea even with epoxy on it.
Primers don't have UV protection so the sun can break them down.
It's just a question of how long and how much you can get away with.
If I had to do it, I'd epoxy it. Then clean and sand it right befor painting. :cool:

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Big Reazon@Sep 21 2007, 03:21 PM~8839264
Like whch ones becuase they say the ppg k36 is 2k but after 3 weeks it starts to bouble from watergettin through it and under it. Whats a couple good models and what brands are they.

this is bullshit i don't care what some people believe i HAVE 2k with no epoxy on my monte and it's sitting outside uncovered sometimes but has a tarp on it most of the time and i have no bubbles rust or anything penetrating it.............

maybe others had bad luck with 2k but i haven't............

my other car my storm has been sitting outside for well over a year with epoxy under it and 2k over it and it is fine also............

·
Registered
150 Posts
Im kind of in the same boat here, I have some dents and before I bought the car the old man hit a poll and damaged the right fender and front clip. So Im having the dents taken out and I went and got a new front clip and fender, It will go through some serious shaving this winter with emblems and door handles shaved. I wanna have it primered until the summer rolls around for the paint Job. I wont drive it much or maybe not even at all during this winter. It will have car cover over it and most likely its going in the garage. What primer should I use?...there seems to be very small lil rust spots thinking of just having it media blasted...

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
shoot it with some 2k like the ppg you spoke of, then block it out with 320 and shoot a good coat of ppg dp90(black) on top of that, it will seal it up and when it comes time to paint you can just scuff it down and go

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Originally posted by Big Reazon+Sep 21 2007, 09:21 AM~8839264-->
[/b]
It probably failed because te prepping process was not right. You gotta understand that if it's any improfections in the prepping of the car, it's gonna show in at the end of the refinishing stage, rather it be a month or 6 months later.
<!--QuoteBegin-SWITCHCRAFT
@Sep 21 2007, 10:09 AM~8839641
this is bullshit i don't care what some people believe i HAVE 2k with no epoxy on my monte and it's sitting outside uncovered sometimes but has a tarp on it most of the time and i have no bubbles rust or anything penetrating it.............
maybe others had bad luck with 2k but i haven't............
my other car my storm has been sitting outside for well over a year with epoxy under it and 2k over it and it is fine also............
Exactly

·
Registered
28,033 Posts
Originally posted by Anteazy@Sep 21 2007, 10:26 PM~8844701
It probably failed because te prepping process was not right.  You gotta understand that if it's any improfections in the prepping of the car,  it's gonna show in at the end of the refinishing stage, rather it be a month or 6 months later.
Exactly
:cool:

·
McAsshole
1,891 Posts
Originally posted by Big Reazon@Sep 20 2007, 09:52 PM~8837965
how do people get their cars primered and drive around with them for months before they paint them. I see it all the time. BUt I keep looking for primers to do my car with but they all say they will begin to bouble after about 3 weeks. I wanted to primer my car black and get the body work done until I could afford to get it completely painted. I need high build primer. I was going to use ppg k36. But now I am having secon thought. I am planning to do some filler work this weekend. Should I use spraypaint over it to seal it up because the car will be outside.  Will spray paint seal up filler spots?
you shouldn't primer yet because you are going to make more work for whoever is going to paint it. but i would use the kondar primer from ppg

·
Registered
623 Posts
what if you have rust but your not going to paint yet? Wouldnt it be better to sand and primer to stop further rusting so that surface rust wont turn into somthing worse?

·
Registered
28,033 Posts
Originally posted by TOWNCARSTUNTIN92@Sep 24 2007, 10:46 AM~8858615
what if you have rust but your not going to paint yet? Wouldnt it be better to sand and primer to stop further rusting so that surface rust wont turn into somthing worse?
yes

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
ive laquer primered entire vehicles for some cheap asses and they drove them for a year or more with no problems

not the right way to do it, but if you do it right it should last

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
2k is the shizznit,,there prolly talking about bondo being exposed,that will suck water like a sponge!!im rolling my cutty going on a week on primer and no goddam bubbles or delaminating, :angry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts