LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dumps started acting up......just by barely tapping on the switch to dump the front it goes all the way down....before if i tapped it it would go down a little bit now it goes all the way down....what does this mean? Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its not the slowdown cuz its set so that it goes down slow...n it still goes down all the way. so i should check the seals??

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
so your problem is that it continues to go down not that it goes down fast?

drop speed is as it always has been?
dump doesnt close when you let go of switch?
but you can still lift again next time?

sounds like dirt in the pilot hole or a seal picking up.........
new seals and a blow out with an air line.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
first off, what kind of dumps are they? what oil are you running in your pumps? and what is the temperature??? sometimes, if you have too heavy of an oil, when it gets cold, the dumps start acting just like yours are...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a feeling it might be what VegasHopper is talking about...i use 40 weight ND oil....and the weather has gotten alot colder now.....whats the best oil to use in cold weather?? Can I go with the thinnest weight of oil?? Ima take the dumps apart n clean em with an air hose and check all the seals too...just in case...oh BTW they are steel square dumps. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
379 Posts
shit i use r & o 32 antiwear 32 hydraulic oil and i think its 10 weight and its like 32 or colder up here and lately its been like 60! I used 10w in my cutty all winter long and the thing juiced every time ;) p/s a rollin 3 wheel dont work too good in the snow!!!! :roflmao:

Last edited by carvr2 at Nov 21 2003, 08:13 PM

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by KandyKamaro@Nov 21 2003, 07:01 PM
I have a feeling it might be what VegasHopper is talking about...i use 40 weight ND oil....and the weather has gotten alot colder now.....whats the best oil to use in cold weather?? Can I go with the thinnest weight of oil?? Ima take the dumps apart n clean em with an air hose and check all the seals too...just in case...oh BTW they are steel square dumps. Thanks for the help everyone!
ATF-3 works really good year 'round and especially in the cold. I've been rolling with it since '91 from New Hampshire winters to Florida summers. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help....i guess ill change to the thinnest oil I can find for the winter...Im not an expert but I think ill pass on the ATF3.....from what Ive read on here using tranny fluid is bad que no? Youve never had problems with it Bouncin89merc2low97lhs??? woah that was long...lol..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by KandyKamaro@Nov 23 2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the help....i guess ill change to the thinnest oil I can find for the winter...Im not an expert but I think ill pass on the ATF3.....from what Ive read on here using tranny fluid is bad que no? Youve never had problems with it Bouncin89merc2low97lhs??? woah that was long...lol..
ATF-3 is different from regular transmission fluids because it doesn't contain the detergents that CAN actually be a problem for pump gears.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by KandyKamaro@Nov 24 2003, 09:32 PM
ATF-3 isnt that like dextron/merconIII or is it something else? What brand do u get n where do you buy it?
I usually pick up Havoline but it doesn't matter, as long as it's ATF-3. Big-name or no-name, it's pretty much the same, especially since we're not putting any real "wear" on the fluid and only using it in a pressure application.

Dextron has detergents in it. Which isn't very good for pump gears. The detergents foam easily and this foaming cavitates the pump. Cavitation in this case meaning that not only fluid is going through the gears. The foam "bubbles" are also transferred and basically, it's not good for those bubbles to be "smashing" up against your gears. So tranny fluid, which actully IS hydraulic fluid (ask the old pros, and recognize the term "hydraulic transmission") is OK to use, as long as you use the right type. ATF-3 is non-detergent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts