LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, actually a few problems...

I replaced the distributor gasket yeserday and took the car for a ride. Everything was fine. This morning I started the car and I can hear the lifters tapping. I drove it a little and they get louder until I get to a certain rpm then they kinda quiet down.

I looked at the coolant resivior and the coolant is brown....Head gasket I guess. I checked the oil and I didn't see any coolant...it looks fine but was about 1 1/2 - 2 quarts low...

I'm thinking that the oil went with the coolant and that is why it is low. But I thought that the oil would have coolant in it?

I replaced the oil and they quieted down a bit but they are still loud.....but why?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 6 2005, 06:24 PM~3552859
well, actually a few problems...
I replaced the distributor gasket yeserday and took the car for a ride. Everything was fine. This morning I started the car and I can hear the lifters tapping. I drove it a little and they get louder until I get to a certain rpm then they kinda quiet down.
I looked at the coolant resivior and the coolant is brown....Head gasket I guess. I checked the oil and I didn't see any coolant...it looks fine but was about 1 1/2 - 2 quarts low...

I'm thinking that the oil went with the coolant and that is why it is low. But I thought that the oil would have coolant in it?

I replaced the oil and they quieted down a bit but they are still loud.....but why?
check the trans fluid also. check the compression if your thinking its a head gasket. check your oil pressure!!! how many miles have you put on the motor? maybe the rocker arms arent adjusted properly?

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 6 2005, 06:52 PM~3553689
check the trans fluid also. check the compression if your thinking its a head gasket.  check your oil pressure!!!  how many miles have you put on the motor?  maybe the rocker arms arent adjusted properly?

about 500 miles so far on the motor.

no smoke out the exhaust except for rigt when I start it then I get a little bit of white smoke.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
ur fucken cursed homie

havent u been having chingos of problems with ur engine?

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by schmidt64@Aug 7 2005, 11:05 AM~3556058
if you had oil in your coolant they wouldn't mix together so you could see both of them

well, the guy did say that the engine sat for a while before he sold it. I forget how long but maybe the water is just dirty.

The engine isn't fresh but he said it was fairly new. He said that there was 1000 miles on it before he pulled it and built a bigger one. He could have been lying though...

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by schmidt64@Aug 7 2005, 11:05 AM~3556058
if you had oil in your coolant they wouldn't mix together so you could see both of them

I thought that the coolant would be milky..like chocolate milk..?

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured out whats going on and fixed most of it so far...

I kept hearing a klacking sound by the firewall...so I looked at the flywheel and one of the bolts that bolts the flywheel to the torque converter was gone.. :0
out of three bolts one was gone one was tight and one was loose.

so I replaced the bolt and tightened down the others and started it up and it sounded fine.

I do hear a little bit of clicking sound up top by the valve covers...so I'm guessing its the rockers are loose.

so how do I tighten them? from what I know I just start the car and loosen them till I hear something then tighten them till I can't hear them no more..but someone said I need a stethascope....do I really need one or can I just take a screwdriver or something and use it in its place?

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 7 2005, 12:57 PM~3556334
I thought that the coolant would be milky..like chocolate milk..?

I think I just have a dirty radiator or something. I'll drain it and see what happens.

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by harborareaPhil@Aug 7 2005, 11:34 PM~3558983
:0 dam....flywheel bolts loose.....missing....dam.......
i've had the harmonic balancer go bad...but dam...that will fuck the engine up!!!

yea, that kinda scared me a little...

I'm thinking about getting some kind of thread sealer or something that would make this not happen again..

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 8 2005, 12:25 AM~3558931
I do hear a little bit of clicking sound up top by the valve covers...so I'm guessing its the rockers are loose.

so how do I tighten them? from what I know I just start the car and loosen them till I hear something then tighten them till I can't hear them no more..but someone said I need a stethascope....do I really need one or can I just take a screwdriver or something and use it in its place?

The way to do it is to put the cylinder at TDC. You must turn the crank so that each piston is at TDC when you do this, that way there's no tension on the lifter. Its really easy to do if you start with 1, then move in the firing order (18436572)

Then spin the pushrod in your finger and tighten until it JUST doesn't spin freely. Once there, you can tighten 3/4 turn more and it will be set. It puts a slight pre-load on the hydraulic lifter, usually enough to keep noise from happening for 10s of thousands of miles.

About the coolant, hopefully its just dirty from crap sitting in the old engine. I would say that if its slightly smoking when you first start it, he's probably lying about it being a fresh rebuild, there's a lot of BSers out there when it comes to used engines....

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
another way to adjust the rockers with the engine running and valve covers removed. turn down the idle to where it still runs smooth, loosen the rocker nut til it makes noise, slowly tighten it untill the noise stops, then go another 1/2 turn, it will run rough for a few seconds untill that lifter bleeds down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts