LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok if I put a splitter on a Pre-out that is comming from my headunit will that cause a problem? I had a old headunit that I did that with and down the road a little bit the headunits preamp went out. Does it drop the ohms or something from the preamp to low and cause damage? I know some people say its ok to put a splitter on a preout but others say its bad for a headunit. Whats the judgement guys.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
it will do nothing to the hom load, but think about it, it will half your pre out voltage. If your amp is asking for more to run efficiently, it will try to draw more from the lines if possible. An older unit probably didnt have a strong pre out, let alone a pre out being halfed.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
I would not do it, you actually spit whatever output that your deck is putting out. If you have a deck like Pioneer that has 2 volt output, then you are now only sending out 1 volt. That presents a problem when you are pushing multiple amps, in short you will fry your output channel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
so then how do you run a 4 channel amp? I just went to radio shack and picked up 2 Y RCA splitters, with 2 male, and 1 female output, so that I can just split the RCA cable right where it meets that amp, anything rong with this, theres no other possible way to do this, one set of RCA's going to the subs, and one for the highs

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Originally posted by bigLINCOLN77@Oct 19 2003, 12:43 AM
so then how do you run a 4 channel amp? I just went to radio shack and picked up 2 Y RCA splitters, with 2 male, and 1 female output, so that I can just split the RCA cable right where it meets that amp, anything rong with this, theres no other possible way to do this, one set of RCA's going to the subs, and one for the highs
get a headunit with 3 or more preouts. mono for the sub and then 2 more for for channel amps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts